Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 09-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #21
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: NOOBIE bike questions

"...I'm up there with the squids most of the time." ?

Then get off the road and let them pass, cause they don't know how to ride.

As your 3rd, 4th or 5th bike (10th?) get any old 600 from an F2 onwards. They cost used, about one-third the price of a runner T120. When you're done with it throw it away and go back to your Brit bikes. Then, try that sentence again.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2005, 07:31 AM   #22
Tigercub
Founding Member

Good question. I agree with those who say you should try the Kawa 500 or Suzuki 500. Ignore advice about buying a 600. They're touchy at slow speeds and can get you into big trouble above 10,000rpm where they really like to run.

The 500s have less power and are carbureted, which makes them easy to control at slow and moderate speeds. You'll be able to go faster and in control with a 500.

My third bike was a big bike, a Triumph 650, that I road for 15 years before moving up to a bigger machine. It had less power than a Kawi 500.

Stay with the fun part of motorcycling, the rest will come with time.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:06 AM   #23
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

I was thinking more of the SV650 and M620 type bikes.

600cc, 4 cylinder, SS bikes are not for hobbyists nor do they make good commuter/ daily rider machines, IMO.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:23 AM   #24
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Get yousef a tray-zed gixxer and some baggy shorts like the homies. Go stuntin'.

Dats what I'm talkin 'bout!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #25
sky
Founding Member

If you have trouble exercising restraint, cost is the number one factor, or you plan on becoming a track star, then a 250 is a great purchase - better than a used or new 600. The problem with an underpowered bike in the "real world," however, is that it doesn't allow you to get to the clear space you need when you get crowded on the interstate - you have 17 year old kids out there with M3's, moms in Caravans, dudes in Escalades, and no one is paying attention. If you ever plan on commuting you'll realize that the safest way to ride is to ride defensively, and at specific times, very aggressively. You have to constantly think about lane positioning, visibility, the (virtually unpredictable) behavior of those around you, make predictions based upon your observations, and have a bike that can execute all that you have processed on DEMAND.

Get yourself a gixxer 600, it really is one of the most user friendly bikes on the market, complete with steering damper (significantly reducing the nightmarish tank slapper scenario). The other nightmare scenario on powerful bikes is, of course, accidental application of throttle as you try to come to a stop or hit a bump. But if you concentrate on your hand positioning, your golden.

Don't be afraid to fall or crash. If you are thinking about that, then you are obviously taking your attention away from the business at hand. Why? Because your are busy thinking about something that isn't even happening (and, hence, more likely to fall or crash).

Take the msf course, wear your gear, buy the msf "street smarts" series on dvd and the "twist of the wrist" dvd and listen to their various philosophies, and bask in the joy of having one of the most confidence inspiring bikes on the market. The most valuable safety feature is a bike that allows you to focus 100% of your concentration on the task at hand and then execute.
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #26
umarth
Founding Member

I bought a SV650 right out of my MSF course and I had no experience on bikes previously. I haven't crashed it in my year+ of riding. While that isn't a really long time, I do ride year-round, which is saying something for the eight months of rain in Orygun. If you can be conservative for several months of continual riding, get the 600 you want. You probably won't die.
umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 AM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

600's are for pansies, you can't have fun unless you buy the R1 or GSXR 1000
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #28
Crzygoat
Founding Member

That's some serious poetry there Sky. Frame that post and put it up as a sticky link.

Great advice!
Crzygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #29
Flickmeister
Registered Member

A Ninja 250 might wear itself out real quick. If I were you, I'd look for a clean used Ninja 500 or SV650. I've been riding for 42+ years and had a 2000 standard SV650 and now own an '04 standard. They are very controllable, user friendly, and are still a blast to ride even for a very experienced rider. You also have a cult following that will help you in any way possible. Check out www.svrider.com. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #30
anrajala
Founding Member

>I've read in more than one place that its

>more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast

>bike slow....

The guy is a NOOBIE and the idea is not to ride fast. So the more logical question would be which kind of bike is nicer to ride slow. Correct answer is, obviously, a bike with some low end torque.

So its a SV650 then.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote