Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 09-08-2005, 04:33 AM   #11
CaptainColon
Founding Member

Default Re: NOOBIE bike questions

I've read in more than one place that its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow....

So true...the great thing about the ninja is it's one of the few (only?) 250s that will do freeway speed (in the northeast anyway) all day long no problem, and STILL have a little room for more just in case.

If you've got the cash the 500 would be a great choice too, if only because the suspension is WAY better than the 250 (however you can always slap some 500 shocks on a 250 for like $50 if you do it yourself).

Like someone else already said...it's all about self control. I've ridden a Suzuki Intruder 800 since I got my license and have not had any problems whatsoever. IMO a hooligan will be a hooligan whether on a 250 or a 1000.

For a first bike I don't think displacement is important at all (barring insurance). What you should be considering is will the bike be a good bike for LEARNING to ride on, ie. is it going to let you develop as a rider? Is the torque curve basically flat or is it the bike going to lumber up through glitchy caburetion to 7k rpm, and then suddenly you'll be gripping the bars for dear life? How's the clutch? Does it engage nice smoothly with a big friction zone, or is it practically an on/off deal...and do you think that a sensitive clutch is going to make it a pain to ride or help you to learn better clutch control? Lots of other things to consider (brakes, riding position, drivetrain, vibrations, etc. etc.) but don't want to make this TOO long.

Unfortunately most of this stuff can only be figured out by riding the bike, which most dealers won't let you do, and the MSF only gives you a couple choices and they usually won't let you change bikes during the course. What I'd recommend is that you ask yourself what you want your bike to do (twisties, boulevard cruising, cross-country road trips, all of the above), then shop around, read reviews, find a friend or a friend of a friend or anyone that has a bike you're interested in and see if they'll let you try it out. Rather than just asking "hey guys what's a good beginner bike?" try "what would you guys recommend for a beginner looking for ."

Once you're fairly sure what you want your bike to do, it'll be easier for everyone else to help you out.

Ride safe!
CaptainColon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2005, 04:37 AM   #12
CaptainColon
Founding Member

Default bah double post

damn crappy work gateway
CaptainColon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:54 AM   #13
Bordcla
Founding Member

Based on what exactly would you suggest to follow the manufacturer's break-in instructions more than any other? There is some well documented data out there showing that this is not necessarily better for an engine (often quite the contrary, in fact).
Bordcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 AM   #14
Chukchi
Registered Member

The Ninja 250 might be OK, depending on your size, but if you are a very big guy, it will seem very cramped. They are small.

Have you considered a v-strom 650? It is physically a very big bike, but the power is much more linear than a 600cc sport bike, and if you are used to riding dirt bikes, you would feel right at home (similar riding position). It is a bike that will keep up with anything in the twisties, but has very smooth managable power. I have a friend that like you had never owned a streetbike, but had ridden dirt bikes a fair bit as a kid. He bought a v-strom 650 and made the transition easily. It would be a bike you could grow with for a few years and then move on to a full-on sportbike.
Chukchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:46 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

A friend of mine just took the MSF course and bought a GS500F and she just loves it. She says she doesn't believe that m/cing was that much and is sorry she didn't start years ago.

Since you have dirt experience you also might consider a Suzuki DRZ400. It's similarly priced and you can have fun in the dirt while building street skills.

Or even a 600 Katana might work for you since you already have basic skills. It has a more friendly powerband than the gixxers.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:51 AM   #16
jeffs
Founding Member

Forget engine size... think about seating position.

My stance is that a new rider will have a much easier time on a more upright bike. Besides, any bike that has been labelled as a good "beginner bike" will have excellent resale value. In most cases you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

Think:

EX250

EX500

GS500

ZR7

jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:06 AM   #17
nkaliste
Registered Member

I was in just your psition a few months ago. couldn't decide if the 250 would be annoyingly small/slow. Well, I ended up buying a 2005 ninja 250, and i'm completely happy that I did. Of course, it's my first bike, so I don't have a huge frame of reference, but it does everything I've asked it to do, and done it well. The small size is convenient for fitting into a one car garage at the same time as my car. I'm 6'1", 195 lbs, and I don't feel cramped on it at all. The only thing that I have to be aware of is that my weight can bottom out the fork under heavy breaking. it's light, so you can pick it up really easily if you tip it over. Great gas mileage- I've been getting around 60 mpg. Fun to ride, too- I live in the Bay area, so i've been checking out grizzly peak rd in berkeley, and going on 121 and 128 over to Sacramento. You'll be slower than virtually any other MC, but you're still faster than any cage other than a crazy sports car. I'll probably move up to something bigger in a year or so, but i'm in no hurry at all- the ninja's fun!
nkaliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:13 AM   #18
veronaisland
Registered Member

I've put 30K on my 500R in four years and it still works great for me. Maybe next year....
veronaisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:49 AM   #19
ncelik
Registered Member

Frankly,

of all the people I know who bought a 600 as a first bike, I know only 1 who is a) still alive and not badly hurt b) still rides bikes.

And, yeah, all of them thought "I am responsible, I can handle this."

Ninja 500R, Suzuki GS500, SV650 are perfect and most importantly more enjoyable for a beginner. DO NOT BUY A BRAND NEW BIKE. Go for used. You will drop it. Yes you will.

ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:06 AM   #20
tomk2
Founding Member

Good idea! I would suggest you buy that new Yamaha 600 supersport & then sell it to me at a huge loss after you've scared the ****e outa yerself and it's sat untouched in your garage for 6 months!

Even better idea, buy a good inexpensive used 250/500 and ride it for a year to build your skills because the first time you tip that eight thousand dollar supersport it'll cost you another couple thousand in repairs.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote