Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Resetting Guage Cluster

Tried that a few years back on the CB350. But since my old Home Utility (pre Black & Decker) hand drill only turns about 700 rpm, it read 15 mph on the speedo.

After about half a day I gave up. Put 100 more miles on the CB without even trying.

Maybe use a Moto-Tool?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2005, 06:42 AM   #22
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Why do it the hard way?

Wow, and maybe after you're done with the speedo, it'll be 1976 again. Time travel problem solved. Should report this to NASA.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:22 AM   #23
Airfiddler
Founding Member

The 3 lb sledge is the "fine adjustment" tool.

I would upgrade to the ten pounder. better handling, more power, the usual stuff we bikers crave........... :+)
Airfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:23 AM   #24
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You are most likely right about the pulse generator, but, I believe that the speedometer cables run through a gear reduction so that there is less than one revolution of the cable per wheel revolution. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:26 AM   #25
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Why do it the hard way?

I gave some thought to reversing the direction, but I wasn't sure that the cable didn't turn a worm gear. Now that I think about it though you couldn't roll the bike backwards too far without damaging the gears in the odometer if that was the case. VWW
Old 04-30-2005, 11:48 AM   #26
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Now that's a little much in my book. Here's a short breakdown:

1/2 lb. Ball Peen: Carbs, lighting.

3/4 lb. Ball Peen: Shifters, brake levers.

1&1/2 lb. "small"Sledge: Exhaust Systems.

2 Lb. Sledge & up: Frames, forks. Rims. Quick

removal of fooforaw.

I usually reserve the 10 pounder for my 5 hp

Fairanks Morse hit-or-miss when I recalibrate the mains. Also for slaughtering cattle.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #27
kwh
Founding Member

Yes, there usually is some gearing - I've no idea whether it's usually a reduction or not. I was just ignoring the possibility to simplifying the calculation for illustration purposes.

It's worth pointing out that even if it is reduced a lot,, you can't just run the speedo at a thousand miles an hour to rack up the odometer miles more quickly, because the old fashioned speedometer is likely to explode messily under the strain.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:12 PM   #28
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You make an interesting point, however isn't a speedometer operated by a spinning set of magnets working against a spring preload? If so when the speedo pegs the needle that will be the maximum that the spring is streched, so the only added difference in strain between say 180 mph, and 1000 mph would be the added load on the barings and the gear teeth of the speedometer. VWW
Old 04-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #29
sportriderjed
Founding Member

They never did figure it out. I had the stock screen the first time it happened, then a double bubble smoke. It always melted in the same spot adjacent to the 7 at around 3-4k miles. They replaced it 3 times and had plans to try something else when I low sided on some gravel it and the bike was totaled. The dealer was always really cool about it and had called a rep from Honda to see what they could do for me, but they dropped it after I crashed. I really was amazed at how well they treated me at the dealer and never gave me any hassles at all. I wonder what would have come of it if I hadn't crashed?
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #30
obandoj
Founding Member

That is a free pass to the gray bar hotel!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote