Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 04-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Tire choice for Ninja ZX12R 2004

I have opinions on all four of these tires. To sum it up: pick the least expensive and go ride, they are ALL fantastic. If you twist my arm and force me to choose, I will recomend the Pirelli Diablos. Though I hear the Avons last a bit longer and still offer good grip. -Sean

P.S. First Post *****es!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
nitrofly
Founding Member

If you can get 7k out of the OEM tires on a zx12, it really doesn't matter what you put on - go for Cheng Shin interplanetary touring boots.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
jibosch
Registered Member

Pirelli Diablo's are great. I am on my second set on a Buell M2L. Get the Corsas if you want a little extra dry grip. The other tire to consider might be the new Michelin Power, but I have not ridden these yet.
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
sportriderjed
Founding Member

I have been using the Pilot Sport for the last few times. They take a little longer to warm up than the Dunlops I used to use, but last twice as long. I get around 6k out of them on an SV 1000, and I used to get 7k on my CBR954. It does seem like the fronts wear a little faster then the Dunlops did though. I Tried the BT-012 and liked them, but they really felt different when they started to square off, while the rest of them only felt a little different. I also tried the Sportec M1, which stuck well but felt more harsh on the freeway and didn't last any longer than the Pilot, and the front was really pointy which made my 954 feel wierd. I am not sure everyone makes the 200 size you need. Can you fit a 190 section onto those rims without making the bike handle differently? Then again I guess if you are Seans size the 190 would flatten out to 200 anyway so it wouldn't matter I hope this helps...
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Tire choice for Ninja ZX12R 2004

Michelin Pilot Roads.

Sure, you're thinking, shouldn't I fit Pilot Sports instead?

Well, actually, no since they've been discontinued (in favor of Pilot Powers, I guess). BIKE magazine did a test of Roads versus Sports and unless you're riding on a track, the Roads are a better choice.

If you're mellow enough on tires to keep the rear going 7000 miles (on a 12R? How'd you do that?), go for the PR's.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
jungkvist
Founding Member

First post? Big Deal! I'm still trying to figure out how he got 7000 miles out of a pair of anything, on a ZX12R. Either this guy has some serious self-control, or he was riding on the rims.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
npanta
Founding Member

You are right: I mixed the km to miles a bit (used the euro to $ rate instead). It is more like 5.500 miles. On the other hand, I commute with the bike daily, so obviously it is not burnouts all the time but rather smooth fast riding in some parts, filtering in some others and the ocasional 300 miles trip.

I was in the NY-NJ area in mid March to mid April. On bad weather days there were no bikes at all on the road!

When sunshine appeared, I saw a few Harleys and some supersports on weekend rides but that was all. Now I understand why I could not find any bike stores around.

Anyway, thank you all.
npanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #8
freded
Founding Member

I'm amazed you got 7K out of the original tires. Only got 900 miles out of the original 208's on my zx12. Avon sport touring tires lasted approx 4K miles. My 12 spends most of its life 120 or above.
freded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Go French

I replaced the OEM Dunlops on my VTR 1000 SuperHawk with Pilot Sports. Great tires, but I got fewer than the 5.5K miles you got on your OEM’s. After two sets of Pilot Sports I shifted to Pilot Roads. Too early to tell about the mileage, but they handle as well for me as the Pilot Sports did and they warm up quicker (a real plus for 12-month riding in Connecticut). I’ve also had two track days on the Pilot Roads (at 30 psi F/R) and couldn’t tell the difference between them and the Sports either in handling or lap times (thus supporting the argument that it is the software and not the hardware that limits my lap times.)

Anyway, if you are similarly software limited, I can recommend the Pilot Roads without hesitation.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
VanDaRo
Registered Member

Michelin Pilot Powers. Simply the best, and last quite a while too.

I have a 2002 12R, and I destroy tires every 2000 miles And yes you can, and should, switch to a 190 rear. Makes the bike steer much better.
VanDaRo is offline   Reply With Quote