Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Kawasaki News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/kawasaki-news/)
-   -   Factory Kawasaki hires a MN girl (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/kawasaki-news/2631-factory-kawasaki-hires-mn-girl.html)

sarnali 01-15-2005 04:07 AM

Re: Factory Kawasaki hires a MN girl

Good for her, her background in snowboarding should come in handy because both sports require good balance and endurance.

Props to Kawasaki for supporting wimmins in racing too. Don't they also sponsor James Stewart in motcross.? Kawasaki is smart to tap into markets that have been ill represented at the factory level thus far, despite the fact that a lot of women and blacks buy and ride bikes.

acecycleins 01-15-2005 04:36 AM

If anything, she can ride. She has been competitive in her racing efforts thus far and looks to be on track for a successful career. My only wishis that I had enough money to do an associate sponsorship.

dug 01-15-2005 05:22 AM

It's nice to see some factory support behind a female rider, since they represent a large portion of motorcycling growth. I hope she places better with her factory team than she did as a privateer(it would at least show that it was the equipment that was holding her back). I haven't been impressed with the abilities of the few female roadracers that have been around the past few years (Katja Poensgen-seemed like roadracing's answer to Anna K). It's a shame we don't have more smaller cc bikes in the US, it might attract more women to sportbikes.

Other than seat height, what is the biggest impediment to women on sportbikes? My wife rides a 900RR, but even though she's ~5'8", she can't flatfoot the bike(unless I'm on pillion). Lowering is probably not an option as aggressively as she rides.

maladg 01-15-2005 05:36 AM

Must agree with Dug. Bringing more women in is a very good idea on a number of levels.

And does Motorcycling ever need some fresh ideas!

Lastwatch 01-15-2005 06:37 AM

Well said. Now if they'd just do something for us Kawi fans who would to see them factory support the premier 1000cc Superbike class, we buy and ride bikes too...

schizuki 01-15-2005 08:39 AM

"My wife rides a 900RR, but even though she's ~5'8", she can't flatfoot the bike"

I've never understood this obsession with getting both feet (or even one foot) "flat" on the ground. I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam. I've never been able to flat-foot any bike I've owned. At a stop I just get the ball of one foot down. It's perfectly stable.

schizuki 01-15-2005 08:42 AM

I'm curious about that biodiesal. How well is it working in your car? What kind of car is it?

dylanmo 01-15-2005 08:51 AM

Biodiesel works pretty well in my car. By "works", I mean "tastes delicious" and "car" I mean "Griswold #8 frying pan".

Holy_Kaw 01-15-2005 09:11 AM

Yes Kawasaki supports James "Bubba" Stewart in Super/Moto Cross he's up there with the "Big Boys" (250 two-strokes and up to 500cc fourstrokes?) now and should do well. I don't know if anybody's got anything for Ricky if he's healthy though... They also support a Black guy in Pro-stock, I think, (Ricky Gadsen?) that does very well.

As far as Women on bikes... well, for me, I'M ALL FOR IT (hubba, hubba, drool!!!). If I wasn't with a woman when I met that Hooter's girl in Anchorage that rode her own 954 and seemed really cool (as if I wasn't going to Hooter's all the time anyway)... why... there could be a few more Motorcycle rugrats in this world!

Jessica been on my radar for awhile anyway (I think she just got married) and I think it is a smart marketing move by Kawasaki AND good for the sport.