Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 01-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #141
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default Re: GPTB.com

Thanks, HK. I probably can't help coming back, but I'm definitely just gonna read for a while.

ciao
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2005, 11:53 PM   #142
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Calling Fastoldman, Calling Fastoldman

Hey, if your still there, I understand what you're saying. I really do try not to generalize , which is why I have been dissapointed to find out that too many people I've known have behaved in a sterotypical manner. I view people as individuals. Currently, half the folks I work with are female and every one is great. Two out of the last three people I've hired have been women. So I don't think I fall victim to any kind of generalized view.

That doesn't mean I haven't observed differences in the way that many women act, some for the better, some for the worse. I never maintained it was scientific; I stressed that these were my experiences. Although women do view the world differently than men, I don't think they have any inherent flaw. I just think that some have not grown comfortable enough, or confident enough, to use good judgment at work.

One of the negative byproducts of the feminist movement is this cartoonish image of how men behave at work. Some women believe that's how they're supposed to act. And being that I think we can safely say that men and women do not think exactly the same way (there are indeed many scientific studies that suggest this), I think it's confusing to a lot of women.

But I can't agree that anyone is trying to muzzle you. You must remember that your original post was very mean spirited. And where I'm from (NYC area), people who dare to say anything that's non-PC are usually summarily shouted down. (And I'm really not a conservative!) So yes, the state of public discourse is bad, in fact, almost purely reactionary. (Which is why we're even having this discussion). But it does cut both ways, I assure you.

Anyway, I realize how my post could have been interpreted. Be assured that I did write it with a degree of irony. I just don't like the suggestion that certain things shouldn't be discussed resonably. And just because you're a liberal weenie doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion. (My tongue is currently residing in my cheek.)

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote