Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 01-11-2004, 12:31 PM   #71
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 2000 Teaser

Seems like the Kawi is sort of an exercise in futility. Now that it's priced above an entry-level Dyna, it's really aimed at people who truly want the biggest, rather than those who simply can't afford a Harley (the traditional metric cruiser target market). But if you really want the biggest, why piddle around with this thing when you could get a Rocket III for under 16 grand, which would utterly humiliate this pig, and underweighs it by over a hundred pounds? Kawi may have screwed the pooch on this one.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2004, 12:38 PM   #72
brickl
Founding Member

Default Re: Is Motorcycle Online going to change its name to Cruiser Online?

ebass said: Actually, it's no secret that the majority of motorcycles purchased in the USA are cruisers. I would expect you to know that!

And the beer with the largest percentage of US market share is Bud Light (2001, followed by Bud, Coors Light, and Miller Lite).

So, Americans like light, crisp, tasteless beer that doesn't fill you up, but for motorcycles they like big, fat, slow, ponderous, loud, horribly braking hippos adorned with cupholders, ash trays, and frilly leather dingleberries.

Interesting.
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #73
wrecks
Founding Member

"but what Harley has NO other manufacturer has in the v-twin world."

-yes their bikes make people think they're cool.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:51 PM   #74
wrecks
Founding Member

Default which one?

I do have an inkling to do such a thing... I can't decide. The R1 is pure sex and will probably have more power and less weight than the honda.... but on the other hand I think the Honda might be a more "forgiving" bike to its rider, what with that damper, the forward position, and the super-long swingarm. I'm also looking at a used rc-51 though.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #75
wrecks
Founding Member

More competitive market there I suppose. Canadians can't afford Harleys!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #76
seruzawa
The Toad

Default You got it....

Chicks much prefer the guy who cruises along the boulevard for a loooong time rather than the guy who goes real fast and gets to the end quicker.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #77
brickl
Founding Member

Default Re: Is Motorcycle Online going to change its name to Cruiser Online?

Objectively speaking, there is more happening in cruiser world today than in any bike segment ever. Its certainly not tepid stuff like new brembos and +5% power.

Like what? Standing around, drinking beer, ogling your buddy's toothless hag, and moaning about the 50 miles you were forced to ride to get to the Black T-Shirt Gang Hideout? Shucks, anything over 50 and you'd probably want to trailer that swine, right?

Just what kind of "happening" are you talking about? I mean besides loading down your lop-eared mule with 500 pounds of chrome and other stupidity?

I wonder what you'd do if all of your jeans and black H-D t-shirts were dirty on Saturday afternoon... Would you wait and wash them and risk losing your usual parking spot, or would you chance being laughed at for being out of uniform?
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #78
wrecks
Founding Member

Why don't you do this scientifically and show us how much torque that fz1 is making at the SAME RPM. SHouldn't that be the constant?
Old 01-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #79
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Re: Muscle Cars????

Don't you mean a 289, as the 283 was a Chevrolet V8 introduced in 1957, spawned from the 1955 265 "grandaddy smallblock"...?
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:12 PM   #80
seruzawa
The Toad

But when you go out and actually test the bikes often you find that the real world result doesn't fit the calculated result.

For example my old GSX1100G dynos at only 90+ Rwhp @ 7500 and 75 ft-lbs at 4750. It gives a best SS 1/4 @ 11.38 sec @122 mph. It is a horrible slug compared to the recent years' models of 600s, much less literbike race replicas. Even my old 700 Magna gets down the road faster than many much newer bikes.

Then why have I yet to lose a stoplight grand prix to a 600 and seldom to a literbike? Probably experience and the comparatively wide powerband. There's far more to it than calculations. Few riders know the finer points of good launches.

That's why I say to go out and ride. You may love the bike that all the "experts" put down.