Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 01-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #31
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 2000 Teaser

OK, so I went to the DC show, and sat on the F*cker. What a monster. I'm sure it's fun (OK?) to ride, but Jeezus!

Then I went to the Harley display and sat on the Dyna Sport thing (Sorry, Harley guys, still haven't figured out HD nomenclature, even after owning 2). It just felt so much better. Look, I'm not one of the faithful, but the motor company has the cruiser thing down. If I'm going to spend the $ for a cruiser, I think I'd look for a good used FXRS Sport (OK, that's one I remember), before I'd get the K2K.

Luckily, I don't have to make that decision. I try not to spend a whole lot on my 2 wheeled toys.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2004, 05:32 PM   #32
TuneREX
Founding Member

Well...I just sat on one in the dealership today, and am seriously considering buying it. It's freaking beautiful. I'm 5'10", 160lbs and hefted it around easily. I even rolled it around the floor a bit....okay, not exactly a test ride. Absolutely the coolest cruiser available right now. Harley Shmarley.
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #33
Chango
Founding Member

Default Cruising with sportbikes

Just buy a standard. It'll do both, and your girlfriend won't break up with you for forcing her to ride on it. Or, if you can afford them all, buy 3 bikes: one for canyons, one for cruising, and one for trackdays.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:32 PM   #34
BrokenLink
Founding Member

Default Time to get another Prius

You should get his and hers.
BrokenLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:37 PM   #35
BrokenLink
Founding Member

Default Actually KPaul I think you have it backwards, EBass is right

MO probably if anything does more sportbike stuff then the demographics of the site visitors warrants. EBass is right more cruisers are sold than anything else. I am new here but I think they do a great job of balancing things out. I love all bikes and my next bike will be a cruiser but I plan to keep my sportbike. Maybe you should check out sportrider.com.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:49 PM   #36
BrokenLink
Founding Member

Default Muscle Cars????

As someone who wants to complete his fleet of bikes, I have sport bike now, I too think this bike is a little big. I plan to buy a cruiser this summer. Current the list includes the Harley FXDX, Mean Streak, Warrior, and Victory Vegas. I have to echo others and say that size isn't everything. I want a cruiser that can handle and stop well. These big cruisers remind me of how muscle cars in the late 60s and 70s grew. They were fun as long as you didn't go around curves. Give me a 65 Mustang with a 283 V-8 over a 72 429 anyday.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:52 PM   #37
wrecks
Founding Member

Default CBR1000

Maybe Honda Canada are a little less arrogant than Honda USA. However, they did only have 1, compared to Kawi's 5 or so zx-10r's and Yammy's 3 R1's. I don't think anyone even noticed the GSXR1000, not it's year I guess. But leave it to Suzuki to come back in 05 or 06 with something far more ridiculous.

The Honda didn't feel as light between the knees as the other 2 (none of them had fuel of course) but still felt very small, and like the 954, made you feel as though you were hunched over the front wheel. (which may be more effective in the turns). THe Kawi felt positively TINY while the R1 felt long and pointed... though that may have been my erection.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:09 PM   #38
jeffcollier
Registered Member

Yes, having just seen the bike in person, while very nice, it is still a metric cruiser. Many familiar parts from the Kwacker bin... somewhat generic. And the price - particualrly up here in Canada - leaves me cold. Perhaps a bit too much bike for too much money.
jeffcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 02:06 AM   #39
sqidbait
Founding Member

"Ninety Seven Horsepower is nothing to sneeze at in a cruiser, but not really earth shattering. However, I can hardly say the same about a no-foolin One Hundred Twenty Three Foot Pounds at the rear tire. Yes indeed, that just might shatter the earth."

Hardly - it's not earth shattering either. Sure it sounds impressive, but the engine maxes out at ~5000 rpm. I wonder what the gearing ratios are?

I'd imagine that if you looked at the thrust curves for the Vulcan and compared them to an FZ1, ZRX, etc, that peak torque value would suddenly be less impressive than what was quoted above.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 04:05 AM   #40
sarnali
Founding Member

I think we'd better see some MSF scores from ebass and some magazine articals explaining how it holds up next to Kawasaki's own crown jewel (need I use the "C" word here?) before we can take his word for anything.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote