Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Kawasaki News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/kawasaki-news/)
-   -   Vulcan 2000 Teaser (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/kawasaki-news/2285-vulcan-2000-teaser.html)

sqidbait 01-13-2004 03:03 PM

Re: Vulcan 2000 Teaser

>You can't turn 44 inch boggers on your 4x4 without a lot more gear reduction.

Well, sure. You've increased the load on the engine, so the torque that the existing gearing delivers may not be sufficient. Big wheels means more rotational and linear inertia to overcome.

You may have to regear if you want decent performance.

-- Michael

KPaulCook 01-13-2004 03:05 PM

Why I voted for Bush the first time and why I won't this time

With George W. I thought I was getting George Sr. Fiscally conservative. Smart in foreign affairs. etc. Instead we got a reckless budget deficit buster wacko who has half the brains his old man had. Remember the term "vodoo economics" that was his Dad's description of Reagonomics, Supply Side, Arthur Laffer thing. The deficit is real and it is getting much larger as a percent GDP than it got during the Reagan years. Bush Sr. did the courageous thing and raised taxes, Clinton folks and the Republican Congress balanced the budget and bingo an economic expansion took place. Cheney said deficits don't matter but any economist will tell you the do.

KPaulCook 01-13-2004 03:12 PM

Re: Don't confuse the guy...

"On the economy, the former Alcoa (AA: news, chart, profile) executive said he believed the economy would have grown about 6.0 percent annually in the third quarter of last year without the tax cuts, roughly two points slower than the staggering 8.2 percent reported by the Commerce Department.

"But the price we're going to pay for (the extra 2.2 percentage points of growth) is enormous because it reduces our fiscal flexibility to fix Social Security, which we desperately need to do," O'Neill said."

from click here

TuneREX 01-13-2004 04:37 PM

I agree. I don't know why everyone has such a problem with this bike. I don't see why it would be any harder to ride than a Goldwing or Electraglide. About your last statement...what makes you think such machines don't already exist. I have a ZRX1200 and I can assure you, 70-90mph roll-ons are its specialty. Or were you thinking specifically of cruisers?

Buzglyd 01-13-2004 05:10 PM

I guess because it weighs as much as it does yet is basically has no amenities (luggage, stereo, fairing, etc).

Imagine what it would weigh once outfitted for touring duty! 1000 lbs + ?

sarnali 01-13-2004 05:37 PM

Re: Ah.... The human condition.

I have a "cough" Mini -van! yes thats right I'm a soccer dad! who'd a thunk I'd wind up hauling my brats, half the stuff they own and my dogs everywhere I go.

wrecks 01-13-2004 10:58 PM

THis thread is getting too long

Let's agree to disagree.

I'm really only arguing with you for the sake of debate. You are right, peak torque values don't neccesarily reflect directly on performance. A Cummins Diesel may produce 500 foot pounds of torque at 1500RpM (or whatever) but that doesn't make that truck the fastest accelerating vehicle. The only way you could make a high-torque/low rpm engined vehicle accelerate quickly would be if you were able to rapidly decrease the gear reduction factor while the engine maintained its speed. (ie with a CVT). But we don't have a transmission that can withstand those stresses.

Still, what I am saying, is that a motor like the V2K's, with a massive low-rpm torque peak, offers useable performance without wringing it out. Sure, you could have a six cylinder 250cc engine turning 24000 RPM which TECHNICALLY transfers more torque to the pavement but that torque isn't as ACCESSIBLE. I have dragraced and beat 600cc supersport motorcycles with my heavier and less powerful VFR, but it takes a more skillfull rider to exploit the power that a peaky motor like a 600 offers.

Your facts come from a more educated position than mine. I'm not an engineer, just a lousy business student. But I know a bit of sh!t.

A bike like the V2k isn't at the cutting edge of technology, but I bet it would be a gas to ride.

sqidbait 01-14-2004 08:14 AM

Re: THis thread is getting too long

Let's agree to disagree.

Nah. That's no fun.

Still, what I am saying, is that a motor like the V2K's, with a massive low-rpm torque peak, offers useable performance without wringing it out.

And all I've been saying is that "massive" torque peak isn't all that massive. That's the point - unless you are willing to calculate thrust, you may as well ignore the peak torque value if you want to compare bikes.

I'll give you another way to look at it: 123lbft@3000 rpm is ~70hp. While 70hp isn't "wussy", it's not awe-inspiring either.

Sure, you could have a six cylinder 250cc engine turning 24000 RPM which TECHNICALLY transfers more torque to the pavement but that torque isn't as ACCESSIBLE. I have

I never advocated 24000 rpm bikes - I said if you just compare bikes based on the absolute engine torque peak, you could easily wind up making an invalid comparison. Hence the example of the R6 and XB12R.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ACCESSIBLE"?

dragraced and beat 600cc supersport motorcycles with my heavier and less powerful VFR, but it takes a more skillfull rider to exploit the power that a peaky motor like a 600 offers.

What's the difference in thrust values between your VFR and a 600?

A bike like the V2k isn't at the cutting edge of technology, but I bet it would be a gas to ride.

I never said that it wouldn't be. Most bikes are fun.

-- Michael

runner00 01-14-2004 08:57 AM

I talking strictly cruisers. I always felt they were generally underpowered.

KPaulCook 01-14-2004 10:50 AM

Re: Don't confuse the guy...

"All together, the Congresional Budget Office has forecast a 2004 deficit of $480 billion — instead of the $262 billion surplus Bush predicted for this year in his first budget, assuming his policies were enacted"

click here