Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 01-13-2004, 09:48 AM   #151
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 2000 Teaser

And for people who have never seen thrust curves before, check out this link:

http://home.hetnet.nl/~speed4/bikes/...109_thrust.jpg

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #152
anrajala
Founding Member

You still don't understand what is "torque". If you put speed into equation, you are talking about HP, not torque.

Speed equals to certain revs, OK? But remember torq multiplied by RPM = HP. So you are talking about HP, not torq. No wonder a whiney litrebike has more torq than a 2 litre Kawi.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:58 AM   #153
fzcaster
Founding Member

Yeah and stealers are selling the Hardely for $25K!

With a 125 mile range they can kiss my buttissimo! More yuppie crap!

My FZ1 has more torque! Puleeze!
fzcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:13 AM   #154
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Excuse me the Army War College is not simple anti-Republican thing

Yes I read it. This is old news to me, as many columnists I read didn't need to go to the War college to come to the same conclusion, moreover they were saying it months ago. The only reason the AP put this on the wire is because they are reactively anti-Bush and anything to that end is fine.

I will reiterate----go to www.LewRockwell.com if you want some prinicpled opinions against the war. Even apart from the agenda of the AP, this article is wholly pragmatic and this paper would likely say the reverse had Saddam posed a significant enough "threat"----as if that alone is justification enough to invade a country. If that were the case, however, we would be at war with half the earth.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:14 AM   #155
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Is Motorcycle Online going to change its name to Cruiser Online?

Rolling along on the center of the tire for miles on end (at less than 50% over the speed limit)[.]

Well, that's one way to look at it, sure. I prefer this line of reasoning.

I have to get from point A to point B somehow. I'm sure as hell not going to fly, unless I absolutely have to. Which generally leaves me with some kind of highway transportation to work with, and if the weather is going to be nice, it's a lot more pleasant to cruise those miles on a motorcycle than inside of some 4 wheeled box. Now, if I had some really swank drop-head touring coupe, I might change my tune. Since my real life choices are between a 2002 Yamaha Warrior and a 1985 Dodge Diplomat... I'm probably going with the bike.

Now if only it didn't eat tires every 2500 miles. Damned squishy sportbike rubber. I'm contemplating a 15" conversion (or whatever the 'Wings are running these days) so I can get a tire that might be able to better handle the wear of long freeway miles.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:13 AM   #156
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Don't confuse the guy...

... it's hard enough getting through the day having to decide between two viewpoints. Giving him the idea that there may be an infinity of viewpoints will cause his brain to turn into mush... well more mush.

Keep it simple:

The Democrats who blundered us in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam are peace loving. We know this because they say so. It's not their fault that they were at the helm at the point of the bloodlettings. Oh no. They are so peaceloving. Remember how Mr. Wonderful Clinton resolved all that Balkans trouble so peacefully? They are so peaceloving. Now they are going to end the strife in the Middle East by sending over "good vibes" or some other equally effective solution. Well I don't know what solution they have actually. All they do is blame Bush for everything.. but they offer no alternative except the old worthless raise taxes and use diplomacy yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe they can bring back Jimmy "Kim Jong-Il is a nice guy" Carter.

Yeah, that'll help.

So Bush has blundered us into Iraq. What is our alternative?

Too bad that the only choices the we get are between two repugnant political extortion gangs.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:32 AM   #157
wrecks
Founding Member

No but it changes the force being applied to the road. You can't turn 44 inch boggers on your 4x4 without a lot more gear reduction. Leverage.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #158
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't confuse the guy...

You might want to point Kook to the link in the NY Times showing a video of Wesley Clark in 2002 (before his run for president) claiming that there is a definite link between Saddam and Al Qaeda. I wonder what made him change his mind?

Living in California, where we are so undertaxed, spending has only gone up 45% in the last few years but I'm selfish because I don't want any more money extorted from me.

Political extortion gangs is the exact description.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #159
sqidbait
Founding Member

You are confusing the speed of the bike (mph), with the speed of the engine.(rpm)

I said that if a bike is at the HP peak, then for that road speed, the bike is putting the most torque to the back wheel that it can.

An example:

I'm feeling Buellish, so we'll use an XB12R.

Data for an XB12R:

89.8Hp. @ 6,700rpm

72.6LbFt. @ 5,750rpm

Rear tire: 180/55ZR-17

This isn't entirely exact, but the conversion from rear wheel rpm to mph for such a tire is roughly mph = 0.0738 * rwrpm

Pick any road speed you want. I'm going to go with 40 mph.

In order to go 40 mph, the rear tire must be turning at 40/0.0738 = ~542 rpm

Assuming full throttle...

If you are going 40 mph, and are at the torque peak, the torque being applied to the rear wheel is

72.6 * ( 5750 / 542 ) = 770 lbft

At the horsepower peak, the Buell is putting out

( 89.8 * 5252 ) / 6700 = ~ 70.4 lbft from the engine

but the torque to the rear wheel for 40 mph at the HP peak is

70.4 * ( 6700 /542 ) = 870 lbft

Repeat the calcs for other speeds/bikes/whatever. It doesn't matter.

For a given road speed, you will put the most torque to the back wheel if you are at the HP peak.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:37 PM   #160
dsouthard
Registered Member

Yeah, lots of alarm bells. Sorry, I was not following (blame the flu -- I shouldn't be posting with a fever).

I never intended to imply that dyno charts show rear wheel speed, only that they measure at the rear wheel, not that the dyno chart was reporting rear wheel RPM.

Where I failed reading comprehension was watching you then use gear ratios against these numbers, which failed the smell test. [The gear ratio is implicit in the intial measurement, since the two variables measured are on opposite ends of the powertrain.] But on a re-read I see where you were going....
dsouthard is offline   Reply With Quote