Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 07-24-2003, 08:55 AM   #11
fdavis
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZX-10R Spy Photos from Europe

I thought the same thing until I looked a little closer and saw bracing.
fdavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2003, 09:18 AM   #12
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Ha!.. good eye!.. I hadn't seen it either... sorta just looked like part of a chain-guard support at first glance. Upon closer inpsection, it seems they've painted or covered it w/tape to hide the bracing.

My guess is that they think the bike will look like a zx6r to the causal observer so that they can do some semi-open testing???

You see that often in the automotive industry w/concealing tapework and paneling.

If that's true, perhaps that bodywork is also 'developmental/stealthy/disguise' oriented?? It looks too much like the zx6r right now.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:30 AM   #13
SmokeU
Registered Member

Working for a corporation that builds curb and gutter/mining machines, I can tell you that just because something looks tiny and weak, doesn't mean it really is. Liter bikes with their huge swingarms are overbuilt for the street the way it is. If they use different materials and/or different processes in making the swingarm they could find a way to make the same strength/stronger swingarm and be smaller and lighter.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:38 AM   #14
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Agreed

The Yamaha R-6 has a sweet looking design. The Kawa looks like they got something from the parts bin and said hey this will make a swing arm.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:39 AM   #15
brickl
Founding Member

Yeah, well, before it assumed room temperature, I could make my 03 R1's swingarm flex during hard corner exits, and it looks a lot beefier than the one on the ZX10R.

On a 2nd gear, high-grip corner exit with 155+ rwhp, I think it'll take more than what I see on the ZX10R to minimize flex. Unless it's made of Martian titanuim/kryptonite/spider-silk alloy, that is...
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #16
RRocket
Founding Member

Default What is that part???

Look just in front of the forks, near the axle. It looks like a stabilizer of some kind...anyone else see what I'm talking about??
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:49 AM   #17
brickl
Founding Member

Default Re: What is that part???

That's part of a sensor package that records information for testing purposes. See all of the cables taped to the bike? That's the sensor cable speghetti. The lump of crap on teh rear seat is prolly the recording device. Or the lanky pilot's lunch.
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:30 AM   #18
SmokeU
Registered Member

The flex could have been engineered into the swingarm for better weight transfer and traction for all we know. That is unless someone here works for Yamaha???
Old 07-24-2003, 10:36 AM   #19
jng1226
Founding Member

Default This will CREATE problems for Eboz - at first

For sure it's great that Eboz will have a better platform for a race bike, but it will take time to develop into something competitive. It will be a brand-new machine and who knows if they've had enough time to do testing to be in the ballpark.

Suzuki's Superbike was very close chassis-wise to their previous 3-time champtionship winning bike, so they got a new motor with more power which got them right back on the pace.

I don't think there is even a baseline with the new ZX-10R. Can't wait for the road or race bike.
jng1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:48 AM   #20
wakked1
Founding Member

Skinny swingarm works fine for my 12R, so I'm assuming it do ok on the 12R. Don't worry, posers can always go spend $2K on a new one that weights 2x as much, tho.
wakked1 is offline   Reply With Quote