Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 05-01-2002, 08:29 AM   #1
onebadoldz
Founding Member

Default Re: Bubba Stewart in Sports Illustrated

To me, Bubba Stewart seems to have been bred to race motorcycles through a huge cash infusion at an early age and through getting the very best factory motorcycles, possibly because of his race. I am not surprised that Ken Griffey Jr. is there supporting him, but he cannot be compared to Tiger Woods by any stretch of the imagination. They could give the same benefits to a black/minority roadracer (such as factory equipment, training resources, cash, etc etc) and chances are that he/she would rise to the top of the ranks too. I'm not a racist, however, I do feel that he was given a lot of help along the way and a lot of publicity where it is not exactly deserved, since he rides like a maniac and lost the championship this year. Hats off to all of those racers that struggled in the ranks with their own cash before getting the big break.
onebadoldz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2002, 11:02 AM   #2
deanmass
Founding Member

"I'm not a racist, however"

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck......

WTF do you mean bred...? That is a terrible choice of words...

All I know is, from the moto shots I have seen of him riding, he rox. Better racers are always good. I don't care if the dood is purple and was raised eating nothing but scientifically formulate goo-food, if he is fast and cool, he is good for the sport and deserves to be where he is and get what he gets.... Bubba is good for the sport...Kudos to him!
deanmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:12 AM   #3
john
Founding Member

How many times did he crash the last weekend??? was it 4 times in one race??? To me, that just means he doesnt give a ***** about anything b/c he is being spoonfed, getting money thrown at him. ANY racer that knows he will always have a bike even if he wads it will be rockin. how many privateers do you think can afford to toss a bike every race?

Old 05-01-2002, 12:53 PM   #4
lightnin
Founding Member

Dude, pull the white sheet off and step away from the burning cross, every word you spout is racist, every sentiment you express is racist. Not a tenth of what's been spent on the Hayden boys has been spent on Stewart. Why bring race into it if your issue is money? He's won more nationals at his age than Carmichael had for chrissakes, more than ANYONE EVER, you jealous hatemonger!

Just sign yourself KKK and be done with it, you simple minded bigoted racist idiot.
lightnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:13 PM   #5
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default What's your name, boy?

Oh yeah, you really tear up an MX bike when you wad it. Oh boy, just like a Superbike. Anyway, the boy is good. Anyone who can crash on the first turn and go from worst to first is a champ. He crashed 4 times in one race and still pulled in 2nd. He may be a little ham fisted and bust his chops, but the boy is amazing. It's his first year, give him a chance, sheesh. He is great. He's a damn rookie. I don't know about Tiger Great, but he is great...
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 02:50 PM   #6
Bryan8252
Founding Member

Last time I checked, a person rises to the top of any endeavor because of superior talent. They are, of course, nurtured along the way because other people (individuals and factories) recognize that talent at a young age and want a piece of it for themselves. If you would have had the talent that Stewart has--you would have also been helped out along the way. People with money and influence never back anyone unless they think they will be valuable to them down the road. Sorry you didn't have the talent to make it--but it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with your lack of talent to race bikes at the highest levels. And GEEEZ--get off the race thingy--your diatribe sounds as close minded as anything I have read in a long time. "Bred" to race? HUH?
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 03:30 PM   #7
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: What's your name, boy?

Not sure he finished 2nd in that last race (Dallas) where he crashed 4 times, think it was 16th. He did that with no front brake as well so I heard in an interview. Awesome rider.

But, he has indeed crashed in the first lap, started back up in last place, and finished 2nd.. in the first race of the year (this year).

He's a nice kid when I've seen him interviewed. Here in Houston, he raced and did o.k. (10th) even though he broke his foot that same day. You couldn't tell from my seat, but I cheered him every time by. Yeah, a lot of guys break stuff (bones) and ride, but for such a young kid to do that and not just cave under the pressure that a lot of guys much older and more experienced did this year (Vuillemin bailing on Daytona, for example), is pretty impressive.

Heck, he crashed -four- times in that Dallas race and still continued. How many times have you seen a guy case one jump and pull off b/c they felt they couldn't win at that point anyway? I call that some guts... and humility.

It remains to be seen if he'll be a habitual crasher, or calm it down and be a winner though. He's only 16, give him time!

(btw: most of those comments not directed at joe_momma... just picked a spot to reply in general)

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 05:23 AM   #8
Pacer
Founding Member

First off, I agree with what the one guy said. Factorys recognize talent, and help develop it. The fact that he is black is just that, a fact. I think that Stewart is lucky to have someone like Griffey who is interested in the sport, and willing to support him. It is tuff for a guy to be the first to do something. Who cares if he is black, he is fast. Last, as far as him not staying on two wheels. If I remember Carmichael in this first year, he either won or wrecked, and yes he wrecked a lot. Also, Pastrana was on his head alot his first year.....and second year.....and thrid year.

p.s.

If you want to compare him to Reed remember this. Reed has a couple of years experiance, just not in this country.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 08:04 AM   #9
obandoj
Founding Member

You are a racist, the fact that you state "I'm not a racist" says it all, I bet your best friends are black, right? The kid is a great rider and great for the sport, you can throw loads of money at a moron with no talent, and all you'll acomplish is a lot of money wasted on a moron with no talent, get a life!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 09:13 AM   #10
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Believe it or not, you all have valid points:

Is Bubba a fabulous talent? Yep.

Does he crash a lot? Yep, but he is only 16.

Did Bubba get sponsorship money because he wins? Yep.

Did his race help with some of the money? Probably.

Is race a factor in the SI cover? Probably.

If you own a biz that advertizes in MX, wouldn't you want a fast black rider? He'll help open new markets. That ain't racism or racial preferences, just smart business. Ditto SI: Tiger's face sold magazines and they are hoping Bubba will too.

He seems like a good kid and a good role model for youngins of all races. I hope his race doesn't make people focus on race. It would be a shame if he were promoted as a great black athelete instead of a great athelete who happens to be black.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote