Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 02-17-2002, 09:38 PM   #21
Arrow
Registered Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R

Well done Kawasaki! Now if you could apply the same improvement scheme on your other models beginning from ZX-7R .I know Superbike rules are going to change but I love 750s and I have a soft spot in my heart for this bike!. It seems like there could be hope for Kawasaki yet.
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2002, 02:46 AM   #22
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

I don't own a 12R, just answering your Q...

Actually, when I read the reviews of the 12R in like 'Cycle World', they didn't exactly -bash- the bike so much as bemoan the apparently "electronically limited" top-end. That was the rumor at the time, I can't remember if the initial bikes were limited. The bike did come with a lot of hype, and when it didn't zoom past the 'Busa, it got some flak... rightly deserved. "You boast like that, you'd better back it up" was the concensus.

Now then...

They, to my recollection, they liked the handling, were ambivalent about the styling, and thought it had plenty of power and torquey grunt. Might've complained about some chain-snatch and off-idle glitchy-response too, and other small things... probably didn't like the seat. Liked the chassis, IIRC.

Didn't read a whole lot of other mags, so I'm sure the -really- negative reviews were out there. Further, anyone buying one at the time would no doubt be extra-sensitive to criticisms, as are just about all bikers with a sparkling new ride... me included. No one wants to hear bad stuff after plunking down large $$$.

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:51 AM   #23
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

No doubt! I like the bike too, even with it's "dated" look, porky dimensions, etc... .

What would be interesting would be that if Kawi took the old 7R motor, "detuned" it and put it in the ZR-7! ha!!.. oh man!.. .. hmmm.. no wait a minute... perhaps that's NOT a bad idea?.. could Kawi have a chance to 'invent' a new, mid-level, sport-standard market??.. by making a 750-class bike with actual guts enough to challenge an FZ-1?, and perhaps weigh less and handle better???.. Hmmmm!!

Nah!.. they'd never do that!, perish the thought.

-James
Old 02-18-2002, 04:44 AM   #24
Arrow
Registered Member

I am not sure if the ZR7 Chassis is up to handling the ZX7R engine with its limited ground clearance and all, but I think a ZX7R based neo-standard is a great idea!

Don't detune the engine too much (like Honda neutered its 919 called Hornet 900 in Europe), give it a meaty tubular chassis, a modern interpretation of the current ZX7R upper fairing and tail section while keeping it user friendly. They could borrow the brakes, suspension and wheels from their current line-up or even the 7R to keep the price to a minimum. I'd like it to resemble the 7R the way FZ-1 reminds everyone of R1 because I believe the ZX7R is still one of the best looking bikes around. Come on Kawasaki, it shouldn't be too hard!

Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 05:32 AM   #25
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Yeah, for sure they'd have to revise a new ZR-7 chassis to handle the ZX7 motor, but in concept, I think the idea is a slam-dunk winner!... a upper-middle weight sporty-standard 'naked' bike.

With super-bike going to 1000cc, it's no doubt that the 750cc super-sport type bikes will fade, so why not re-define that whole segment!?

Absolutely agree with your points about "parts-bin raiding".. hell, doesn't bother me. So long as it's not TOTAL junk that's being put on, folks can accept it in the interest of avoiding a $9K price-tag.

If they could build such a bike for high-$7K (or less of course), they'd sell a lot of them I bet to folks that like the FZ-1, but not the roughly $9K price. The cost of developing the motor is long since paid for, I'm sure. Forks + shock + brakes... same deal. It doesn't have to out-handle a current 600, just keep up with/possibly beat the new open-class standards.

Suzuki has the small v-twin market sewn up b/c they did the same kind of thing... dynamite motor in a good chassis w/some "minimalist" suspension and sold it for a rock-bottom price. No one is going to compete with them now b/c they probably can't, but a new segment is out there!

Kawi could be the first and define this new segment if they hurry! Are you listening Kawasaki!!?

-James

Old 02-18-2002, 09:28 AM   #26
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Still like my ZX-11 style

Why did Kawi get away from the streamlined bodywork of the ZX-11? I love my flush signals and that big front fender. It's great the ZX-12 has the big power now, but those blue wheels don't hold a candle to the older black/semi-gloss aluminum wheels, the frame has dissappeared under that black paint, and everyone who buys one is going to chop off the signals to mount L/P flush units. What a hassle, albiet a small one, but still, the old body style was better and only needed a light freshening up.

Bill R

www.greatoldbikes.com
Old 02-18-2002, 10:40 AM   #27
pmmonster
Founding Member

Default Re: Exhaust valves?

Pretty sure you're joking but in case you didn't get it they are talking about a valve in the exhaust - not an exhaust valve.
pmmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 04:06 PM   #28
Huss
Founding Member

As far as I remember, Motorcyclist magazine was the only U.S. magazine that did not review the ZX12R favourably. Then again, they did pick the VFR over the R1 as "bike of the year"....
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:05 AM   #29
Haru
Founding Member

Default not much more power than the original one

motorcyclist published a figure of about 163hp for the '00 ZX-12. its not in the peak power that the major improvement of the '02 bike is. its in the usability and ridability.

Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:54 AM   #30
markszrz
Founding Member

I hope it does! I have a ZRX1200-R and have road both the Hyabusa and ZX12 I can say both bikes are amazingly fast. What throws me is absolute (or perceived) lack of effort the ZX12 gets to speed. 100+ speeds no problem, no real wind gusts - nothing. It almost reminds me of the first time I rode a Blackbird but the scary thing is the ZX is faster! I could really get in trouble on that bike! Now the Hyabusa to me is really fast and has the attitude to match it. I consider the Hyabusa along the same lines as a V-Max or Speed Triple.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote