Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 01-25-2002, 08:28 AM   #1
yabaric
Registered Member

Default Re: Weird rumors and Green GSX-Rs

While it will be no real problem for consumers on a purely functional basis on an emotional level people may revolt. I like Kawasaki's for the raspy sound and rough and tough reputation they have. They may lack refinement but they have lots of personality. To rebadge a Suzuki wouldn't cut it for me. If I wanted a Gixxer I would buy a Suzuki. This will not work for the brand loyal of either mark and I don't really see the point of the same bike with two name badges.
yabaric is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2002, 08:33 AM   #2
mapesd
Founding Member

The idea of a Kawasaki green GSXR-750 really makes me want to lose my lunch.

Try to imagine a world without the ZX-7R or GSXR-750. Both of these bikes have been the building blocks of SBK and with the new 1000cc rule coming up for superbikes, it looks like both of these bikes will start to slip from memory fast in the near future.

I would love to see each company focus there efforts on the 600cc and 1000cc technology (applauding Suzuki's efforts) along with developing the GP1 rides. 600s are way too close to catching the 750s and it really isn't that cost effective to the consumer to pay liter bike prices for 750 technology. Just my 2 cents though.
mapesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 09:10 AM   #3
RonXX
Founding Member

I'll believe it when I see it.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:14 AM   #4
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default copy cat engineering?

Kawi wouldn't rebadge a GSXR?? Really. A few years ago they built a vulcan cruiser that tried to copy a soft-tail as closely as possible. Gee, doesn't the suzuki marauder look like a sportster? Hmm, what a coincidence.

Kawasaki Heavy Industries wants out of the bike business and will not ante up the millions it will cost to build a new ZX line.
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:27 PM   #5
baR_n1
Founding Member

i'm a kawi owner myself and was severely dissapointed when they stopped developing the 7R. The fact that they're still selling that 550 lb. hefer of a bike as "cutting edge" (just read the promo material) just ticks me off. personally, i think that kawi will prob steal the 750 mill and jam it into the corporate bodywork, which wouldn't necesarily be a bad thing... at least it'll be an update.

p.s. are they planning on bringing the 636 to north america anytime soon?
baR_n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:12 PM   #6
ccmun
Founding Member

Default Re: copy cat engineering?

So everyone produces a copy of hot-selling models. So what? Thats the way of the world. (Hello, microsoft) Contrary to your statement, compared to the steel and other low margin heavy industries in the KHI lineup, the motorbike biz is very attractive to them. They really don't want to exit this industry. The thinking is if they can squeeze costs--spend little on R&D-- and bring back the glory days of the Japanese domestic market, maybe they could just ride out this tough period. It probably won't happen if the Chinese and Koreans crush the Japanese collectively in the intl market.

Anyway, I wish they survive...I would miss those nasty sounding, corny green machines.
ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 05:24 PM   #7
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default ZX-636

No, word has it that the 636 will be for Europe only and keep the current ZX-6R for the US so as to keep it legal for AMA Supersport racing. World Supersport racers running ZX's will run last year's bikes. (As with all things 2 wheel related, subject to change w/o notice and subject to correction!)
Old 01-25-2002, 06:23 PM   #8
Monkeybutt
Founding Member

Green GSXR? Aint-a-gonna-happen.

Especially if the powers that be, and do, do their research.

To include this web site. As they do. (hopefully)
Monkeybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:38 PM   #9
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: copy cat engineering?

No, actually the Marauder doesn't look at all like a Sportster. Look again.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 03:36 AM   #10
harleyrog
Founding Member

I saw a harleybusa painted pink
harleyrog is offline   Reply With Quote