Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 01-26-2002, 01:42 PM   #11
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Weird rumors and Green GSX-Rs

"Reports from Europe are saying that, for instance, Kawasaki's new (perhaps as early as the 2003 model year) ZX-7R will be little more than a modern Suzuki GSX-R750 painted green, slathered with Kawasaki badging where appropriate..."

I'm just curious... can you tell us what the source(s) are for the "reports from Europe"?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2002, 08:14 AM   #12
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default khi

Any of the stories I have read say that Kawi has been losing money in motorcycles for the past decade. I guess we'll see 5 years from now how this story ends.
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 08:20 AM   #13
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default homework

www.motorcyclenews.com

They quote a senior Suzuki manager: "for now we are only changing the colour of the machines.." read it and weep

I have a japanese website addy if you can read japanese language.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:44 PM   #14
Arrow
Registered Member

I read in MCN that Kawasaki and Suzuki will introduce a new motorcycle to the market in 2 years time with a new badge. As much as I'd hate to see the Ninja&GSX-R line disappear, this would be a better move than to badge a GSX-R a Ninja. MCN also reported that a few Kawasaki bikes in 250-400 class were rebadged as Suzukis, and Suzuki Burgman 250/400 (and perhaps the 650 in the future)scooters were rebadged as Kawasakis.

I think rebadging may work on dual purposes, cruisers, scooters, tourers and commuters but if they try to apply this the sportsbike line-up, they will fail miserably.

Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:20 AM   #15
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: copy cat engineering?

He must have meant the Savage, which does very obviously mimick Sportster styling but can't be called a real copycat because it's an entirely different motor i.e. thumper not V-twin.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:38 AM   #16
intruderman
Founding Member

"Gee, doesn't the suzuki marauder look like a sportster?"

Um, no.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:39 AM   #17
intruderman
Founding Member

You guys need glasses. The Savage doesn't look anything like a Sportster either.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 10:06 AM   #18
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default uh what was the question?

It seems that the dons DO pay attention to these boards. Kawi just issued a press release denying the rebadging of their sportbikes. And here I was feeling sorry for myself thinking no-one cared. I better shut up before they sic their lawyers on me!
Old 01-28-2002, 11:24 AM   #19
bigjames
Premium Member

First, sorry, I just can't help myself.

Could the new brand be one of the following:

Kawasuki,

Sukakawi

Kawa-uki

SuzuKawa

Suzuwaki

Honda?

and for the combined cruiser...

Nomading Marauder

Marauding Nomad

Vulcusia

Volucan

Vulcatruder

Intrulcan

Maybe Suzuki-Kawasaki could combine the old Calvacade with the Voyager, as an update, and call it:

Voyacade

Calvager

I could go on forever.....

Now before you flame on, my first bike was a Kawasaki and have very fond memories of it. Really hate to see the contraction of the market. However, with GM eyeing Suzuki Automotive (while killing off Oldsmobile) and Motorcycles not being big profit makers for either company it was inevitable, sucky, but inevitable...or should that be kawasuki...

bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:51 AM   #20
shalbleib
Founding Member

It was a horrible idea in the first place. Unless this was thier absolute last resort, I don't see how this was ever considered a good idea. It is a huge marketing, and possibly financial screw-up. Some people absolutely love Suzukis, some people absolutely love Kawasaki's - every motorcyclist has a great deal of loyalty to the brand that they have decided to purchase, ride and stand out in their garage and stare at on a cold winters day. Once you've diluted that by joining with another manufacturer, you've put yourself at risk for failure. Evevn if they do as they say, and share some manufacturing and parts costs for the cruisers, (yea right) the general motorcycling community will get the feeling that they're selling out. People are also going to still assume that this part swapping is also taking place across the board which in turn is taking all of the character out of both of the brands. who wants a bike with no character?!</p>

Besides, how can Suzuki and Kawasaki say that it was a necessary decision. They are 2 of the top 4 motorcycle manufacturers you think of when you think of motorcycles. So what if Honda and Yamaha are selling a lot more bikes than you - I'm sure both Suzuki and Kawasaki made plenty of profit last year. Some suits have gotten greedy and I have a feeling they're going to pay dearly for it.</p>
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote