Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Indian News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/indian-news/)
-   -   Indian delays new bikes (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/indian-news/6396-indian-delays-new-bikes.html)

V2Rider 09-18-2007 06:49 PM

Indian delays new bikes

For anyone that still cares, Indian has pushed back the debut of it's new bikes to the second or third quarter of 2008.

IMC Fall '07 Newsletter

seruzawa 09-18-2007 08:31 PM

What?

We'll have to wait even longer for yet another Harley clone? Maybe the unrest in France is to blame!

Kenneth_Moore 09-19-2007 04:55 AM

Man, what a saga the re-incarnation of Indian has been. That first go-around when the "good guys" who had a really unique product lost out to the money-grubbing capitalists who built an undeniable Evo clone was like a movie script. Then just when they came out with the "bottle cap" engine that might have given them some traction in the market, the company fails - apparently in large part due to quality and warranty issues.

I knew a gentleman named (really) Doc Savage. He was an 80 year old diesel mechanic at the boatyard where I lived on my sailboat in Ft. Lauderdale. He had worked for Indian for many years in the "Wigwam." The stories he told about the bitter rivalries with HD were neat. To the day he died, Doc hated Harley - but not the HD riders. According to him, HD "stole" the lucrative WWII contracts for military bikes, and Indian never recovered.

I don't envy the current crop of Indian investors. Not only do they have to overcome the bad reputation from the last "Indian" company, but the market isn't what it was 6 - 10 years ago when there was a waiting list (up to two years!) to buy HDs.

longride 09-19-2007 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 169502)
Man, what a saga the re-incarnation of Indian has been. That first go-around when the "good guys" who had a really unique product lost out to the money-grubbing capitalists who built an undeniable Evo clone was like a movie script. Then just when they came out with the "bottle cap" engine that might have given them some traction in the market, the company fails - apparently in large part due to quality and warranty issues.

I knew a gentleman named (really) Doc Savage. He was an 80 year old diesel mechanic at the boatyard where I lived on my sailboat in Ft. Lauderdale. He had worked for Indian for many years in the "Wigwam." The stories he told about the bitter rivalries with HD were neat. To the day he died, Doc hated Harley - but not the HD riders. According to him, HD "stole" the lucrative WWII contracts for military bikes, and Indian never recovered.

I don't envy the current crop of Indian investors. Not only do they have to overcome the bad reputation from the last "Indian" company, but the market isn't what it was 6 - 10 years ago when there was a waiting list (up to two years!) to buy HDs.

I know a guy that has the PowerPlus 100 engine in his. Too bad those engines had a propensity for their crankshafts to go out of alignment like his did after 5500 miles. Now he has to send it to some guy in Florida to rebuild for 5 grand! Nice. I told him as soon as you get that piece of shyt back together, please sell it and buy a real Harley copy, the Star Raider.

sarnali2 09-19-2007 06:31 AM

Take that dead horse outside before you give it another whack next time, it's starting to smell in here..

V2Rider 09-19-2007 02:09 PM

"I don't envy the current crop of Indian investors. Not only do they have to overcome the bad reputation from the last "Indian" company, but the market isn't what it was 6 - 10 years ago when there was a waiting list (up to two years!) to buy HDs."

I would love to see Indian make it. The more the merrier. I would have to agree with the above quote though. Indian missed the boat. To be honest the bike I was hoping would be a success was Kenny Dreer's Norton. If it had I'd have one in the garage.

Milesl 11-24-2007 03:24 AM

The rumors of docs demise are greatly exaggerated

Lo and behold, I had dinner with the same Doc Savage the night before last, he seemed quite animated and charming for a dead guy. He still works as a diesel mechanic tho at another yard, and he certainly does have some great stories about his Indian days.
Milesl

mscuddy 11-24-2007 09:59 AM

Hahaha, that's rich...

..I thoght the new Indian was going to be sourced from an old A.E.E. catalog, powered by a B&S Vangard motor.

Maybe the T-Shirt & hat comes first, followed by the bike?

Kenneth_Moore 11-24-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milesl (Post 173834)
Lo and behold, I had dinner with the same Doc Savage the night before last, he seemed quite animated and charming for a dead guy. He still works as a diesel mechanic tho at another yard, and he certainly does have some great stories about his Indian days.
Milesl

Damn, my bad about Doc! Someone told me he'd passed on. It has been many years since I've seen him, and at his age I assumed the info was correct. I'm really glad (and amazed) to hear he's still around and working! If you see him, give him and Donna my regards. He may remember me better as "Ginger's Brother," BTW, the two of them worked together for many years.

sarnali2 11-26-2007 08:32 AM

The only way Indian would make it is following Triumphs (something Indian and Harley are good at) and coming out with modern bikes first, establishing a market niche`, then coming out with a "Heritage" model or two. That takes time and dedication and a boatload of capitol and as far as Indian's concerned the well is most probably gone dry a while back.

Too bad really, they could steal a page from Buell and position themselves as "America's Sport Tourer" or something and have at least a snowballs chance in hell of making it, as it is it's just not going to happen.