Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 04-21-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Red Headed Itailian Indian?

I remember those from the 70's. They had use of the indian name for a while.

From http://www.indianchiefmotorcycles.com/1970bike.htm

Mr. Newman was also a pragmatist and saw the market for mini-bikes, and still owning the Indian name and logos he contracted with a manufacturer in Taiwan to make Indian mini-bikes from 1971 through 1976. Indian had their own factory in Taipei, and used Minarelli, Morini and Fuji engines of 50 c.c. through 175 c.c. Early models were called "Indian Four", trying to cash in on the fame of the prewar Four, but actually referring to 4 stroke engine rather than four cylinders.) Sales were good in the beginning, with over 20,000 sold during the 1972/73 season. In Jan. 1977 the Indian name was sold to American Moped Associates, who continued to use the plant in Taiwan unitl about 1982 when they sold out to Mr. Carmen Deleone (who is mentioned elsewhere in this website). As a result, Manco go-karts were made with the Indian name on them for a year. Below is a photo of a 1978-82 made-in-Taiwan Indian which I took at a rally in the year 2000. It says Four Stroke on the side. For more details on the Indian mini-bike era see http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/the1970indianmotorcycle , and thanks to their web author for the above info.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
oleland
Registered Member

I purchased a 175 Indian in 1972 and it was a pretty good runner and also an Indian mini bike for my 4 yr old son and I still have the mini although have not tried to start it in many years.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
billhawley
Founding Member

That was imported as a rebadged Italian bike by one of the many Indian (disputed) trademark owners at the time. Maybe one of the first failed Malcom Bricklin efforts if memory serves. There were even a few Indian badged Royal Enfields back in the day ("Indian Enfields".) H-D badged Aeromachi's were not uncommon either. Good little bikes, but hated by many dealers, who clearly didn't "get it" (then as now?....)
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: FLOYD CLYMER

Racer, publisher, dealer, entrepreneur, and Motorcycling Hall-of-Famer Floyd Clymer used to run ads selling these in the back of motorcycle mags back in the sixties and seventies.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/hall...age.asp?id=145
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote