Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 08-02-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

Maybe they'll make the new Indians out of mahogany with two little flags flying off the back.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

Interesting. I just hope they can make their own engines, instead of using H-D knockoffs like the previous Indian company.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Heck, those big twin cruisers are as big as boats and handle about as well.

Why not have Chris-Craft build some?

"Avast matey. We need two nautical miles to stop this beastie."

"Haul the jib and shiver me timbers, thar she blows more oil!"

It'll be a real showcase for Indian's boat anchor technology.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I like swimmin' with bowlegged wimmin'
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

At the very least, the Chief on the front fender will have one red eye and one green one.

Y'know, a laminated wood gas tank might look pretty good!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:27 PM   #6
ebass
Founding Member

Think Stellican has been watching what Polaris has done with Victory? I would love to see them do justice to the venerable Indian marque that has taken so much abuse recently. More options/competition in the 2-wheeled space is never a bad thing.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
sarnali
Founding Member

If they follow John Bloor's lead with Triumph and come up with their own designs they might make it. If all they're going to do is make yet another Harley clone (w/ fat fenders) they'll tank in no time.

The key IMO is to build something similar to the Kawi. Drifter for their "heritage" line and come up with a more distinctive performance model like the Speed Triple or Monster.

Someone might point them in Victory's direction before they go spouting off about "the only American made heavyweight". Statements like that show pretty shallow knowledge of the market.

Sounds like they have the funding and buisness acumen to not copy E-H's no-motorcycle-10-thousand-T-shirt fiasco, let's hope so anyway.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #8
ofreen
Registered Member

About three years ago, I went into the local Indian dealership out of curiosity. I found some motorcycles with $23,000 price tags. There was also a used Road King on the floor. The Indian's fit and finish was poor compared to the Harley. I suggested to the dealer that he move the Harley out of there, since no one in their right mind would pay thousands more for the inferior Indian, especially if the Harley was there for comparison. I'm afraid he didn't appreciate my free advice and got a little grouchy.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:07 PM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Not Again!!!

How many millions have been poured down this rathole? They should give it a rest, and let the brand die!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:38 PM   #10
F451
Founding Member

Default Scalped Again

Painful both to read and watch the history of Indian Motorcycles being dragged through the streets of stupidity only conjuring the unnecessary road rash that need not be. Why people keep trying to infuse history into that which cannot be done and instead simply honor that which was great in its time is a motorcycling crime. Each failed attempt, is greater than the combinations of all the attempts before and this last vile fiasco of erector set motorcycle design just downright lambast the very sacred design they tried to emulate, but had no understanding of what it was and how it was done. Americans do great things when done right and will continue to do so, but for Pete's sake will someone please lockup what is left of the Indian name until the right people come along and do respect to it for all the right reasons? These new owners are not enthusiasts--they are money men. What was their name again...Stealicans? Damn.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote