Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 08-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #81
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Land Bridge

They'd better have really big gas tanks.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2004, 09:17 PM   #82
roperin
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

If we're EVER going to see significant innovation in American-made motorcycles, somebody has to compete directly with HD. The big four have tried, but come on--Harleys are cool because they're Mericun-made, dammit (and Japanese companies making clones in America doesn't count, for some reason.) Indian is really the only brand that is recognizable enough to the general public that can directly compete. I think Indian should keep their unique styling and target the Harley market in the same price ranges. The competion should bring about better performance and maybe even more reasonable prices.
roperin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:34 AM   #83
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

After the last debacle it probably won't work. And unless they can find a significant chink in H-D's armor, they will be nothing more than a 2nd rate Harley-imitation.

The best way to knock H-D down a notch is to do something different--something that exposes Harley's weaknesses. Reverting to traditional Indian styling alone won't do it. That styling was revolutionary in it's day because it was considered "modern & streamlined." Today it's just nostalgic. And to many of our eyes, those fenders just scream "retro-cruiser," which is just another way of saying Harley-Davidson. Many younger people don't see the distinction.

If they want to produce one or two nostalgic models, like Triumph has done, I think that's fine. But that shouldn't be the core of new Indian. The newest Indian should stand for something like the old Indian did: innovation, perfomance, design.

"Indian" as it exists now is just a label, not a brand. If they stick it on another me-too cruiser, that's all it will continue to be.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #84
asphanaut
Founding Member

Default Re: That bike already exists

yes - that's close to what I'm talkin' about !
Old 08-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #85
zelatore
Registered Member

The current Chris line is probably the single most stunning line-up of small to mid-size boats in the US market now, with the possible exception of Riva (way, way more money)

They are building run-about and express models from 22' - 42' using a lot of custom manufactured hardware and styling cues from the past, but with good performance and engineering.

The boats aren't cheap, but they are competitive with some of the other higher-end production marques. (Colbalt, for example on the smaller boats) The only weak point I've seen so far is a lack of dealers. For example, I'm in the NorCal market - a large market for this type of boat - and the nearest dealer is in Tahoe!

As I work for a dealer who sells competing brands, I've been lobbing the owner to look into picking up the Chris line. If we had a better hold in the small (trailer) boat market, I think we would make a strong push for Chris Craft in the bay area/delta.

zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:29 AM   #86
Purist
Founding Member

Default Re: Good move

I'm 34 and I just purchased a 2003 Indian Chief. I absolutely LOVE it. Everyone I show it to does too. Granted, most people who like it aren't moto enthusiasts, but I only know a few of them.

I have no need to zip around on a jittery little rice rocket - even at 34 I'm waaaay to old for that. I want to make a little noise and cruise. Another factor for me was that it seems like EVERYONE has a Harley. Vics seem a little light for my tastes, but seem like great bikes.

I wouldn't understimate the market for "heavy cruisers". Us under 43 folks may well surprise you.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:45 AM   #87
pbx
Founding Member

I'm a little slow on the draw but I just got wind of this development and wrote an open letter/rant to the investors telling them they should bring Indian back to Springfield. I think it's their only hope for credibility and success. The world can only ingest so much fake authenticity before the gag reflex kicks in.

http://neobike.net/industry/usa/indian_back_again.html
pbx is offline   Reply With Quote