Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 08-04-2004, 06:37 AM   #71
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Easy there Hiawatha

Oh please. Indians were Ironhorse/Harleys with different fenders.

Someone else already mentioned that the Drifter did a much better job of recreating the old Indian Chief styling. More black paint and less chrome with the full sweeping fenders and a reliable engine made the Drifter the Indian that Indian wanted to be.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2004, 07:40 AM   #72
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Easy there Hiawatha

"Someone else already mentioned that the Drifter did a much better job of recreating the old Indian Chief styling. More black paint and less chrome with the full sweeping fenders and a reliable engine made the Drifter the Indian that Indian wanted to be."

Yeah, that was me. Thanks for your support.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:23 AM   #73
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Good move

You're right Longride, except for one thing that you and these new companies seem to overlook: They can change the desires of the market with the right strategy and excecution.

In fact, just look to H-D as the perfect example. Harley was a cult bike only about 20 years ago. They were considered totally passe by most riders. What did they do? Did they introduce that V-4? Did they significantly change the H-D paradigm? Nope. They just improved the basic concept, made them more reliable, and then proceeded to play on their strenghts--emotional benefits as opposed to functional ones.

Buell is having some success now, too, in spite of a less than supportive dealer network and the perception of the "leftover Sportster motor." And with the emergence of the Yamaha MT-01 in Europe (maybe someday in the U.S.) it seems that the basic Buell concept is being validated. That's actually great news for Buell when one of the Big 4 introduces a bike that is conceptually similar. We could have whole new categories of bikes soon. And that may break the Cruiser/Supersport cabal that dominates the U.S. market. All I'm saying is that if they have the resources, it may be a good time for Indian to lead instead of following.

In marketing terms, "me-too" products in this type of category usually fail. Especially in a saturated market. Do you really want to see another H-D-like cruiser? Or another I-4 supersport clone?

Bike buyers (excepting H-D buyers) are fickle mostly because they see that most manufacturers are making similar product. There's no real brand loyalty because they all stand for basically the same thing. Then buying decisions become an issue of who has got the additional 3 hp this year, or who's offering better financing. That's exactly what Indian doesn't want to do.

I'll welcome any new bike, but I'd much rather see Indian do something a little bit different. The meek will not inherit much market share.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:58 AM   #74
asphanaut
Founding Member

Good call and well-stated.

I've got a victory that I read everyday. I like having it - especially since its the first year of production. But when my '96 ZX-9R is back together, my Victory will regain its status as garage decoration except for when I want to take my wife out to the coffee shop.

But, since you can't exploit an '04 ZX-10R or any other hyper sports bike on the street anyway, what you're talkinga bout makes a ton of sense: capture the "cool" of the cruiser - youknow, people LOOK at it and say "cooool" and captrue the comfort and fun of a modern liter naked like the Yamaha FZR. Don't do some 3/4 effort either with taking old parts and giving 'em fresh paint and bolting it together. Design it form the ground up to look as good as it runs. Make it run well enough so that old skilled riders can burn past johnny jump up on his gixxer, and make it look good enough so that when he catches up and looks at it he'll want to quit working at McDonalds and get a real job so he can buy one.

Come to think of it... why doesn't Victory figure this out and just do it before H-D and Stellican do?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:01 AM   #76
pdad13
Founding Member

I mentioned this above, Victory may indeed be planning a similar course (rumors of a naked sport like the MT-01 and possibly a sport bike). Harley is already doing it in some sense with Buell, but their not in with both feet. And Buell is a separate brand. Plus, as the cruiser prototype, there not likely to shift from their core product any time soon. It doesn't make sense for them.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #77
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default That bike already exists

It's called an MV Agusta Brutale. I stare at it more than I ride it!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:24 PM   #78
kwh
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

Authentic 1940's drivetrain technology which gives authentic 1940's motivation and gearchange...
Old 08-04-2004, 03:26 PM   #79
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: That bike already exists

Yeah, I'd be staring, too. You're a lucky man.

Now imagine an Indian "Brutale" that more of us can own. A little less tech and a lot more accessible. Especially with a national dealer network.

110-115 hp

80-85 ft. lbs. of torque

Less than 475 lbs.

Good handling

Unique good looks

Reliable

More comfortable ergos

American made

$10K

That would be nice, no? How many of us on this board would go have a look?
Old 08-04-2004, 03:30 PM   #80
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

Nice.