Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Indian News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/indian-news/)
-   -   Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/indian-news/2467-stellican-limited-owners-chris-craft-boats-acquire-indian-motorcycle-brand.html)

Pacer 08-03-2004 10:09 PM

Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

Maybe introduce the brand, and by the time the bike is ready the market will be on an up swing. Or not and the idea will sink.....and settle by all the harley anchors.

Pacer 08-03-2004 10:12 PM

Re: Wooden Indian

Yea, an XR 750 clone! Serious though that would be cool.

nokneedragin 08-04-2004 02:50 AM

Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

Here's an idea for free to the Stelican board, take a look at the Ducati design competition, a few months ago. Hold your own contest for designers to get new, fresh, and inovative design ideas flowing into the company. Higher the winers, and let them go.

wilro09 08-04-2004 04:37 AM

I like the idea of more "American" made motorcycles. I agree with most everybody here that the route Triumph took was a good one. I'm not into monster cruisers (big, fat, and slow). I think all the brands should have something like the Ducati Monster or Triumph's Speed Triple in their line up. Cruisers only is too narrow a market unless you're lucky enough to have the initials H.D. In these politically correct days though, shouldn't the company be called Native American Motorcycles?

pdad13 08-04-2004 05:17 AM

Re: Good move

Yeah, somewhere in all this retro-cruiser hype over the last 10-15 years, cruisers became "the most comfortable...most rideable...the most managable for older or even new riders." Of course, this is all ridiculous. (Except low seat height.) Some people even think they're the most powerful! And I'm not even talking about people who don't ride, these are people who do. Yes, many of them entered the sport in recent years, bought a cruiser because it was cool and never have really ridden much else. They see a lazy-boy riding position and they think it's comfortable. They see their dentist riding one and they think it's the most rideable. They hear the loud pipes and they think it's the most powerful. Oohh, and look at all the chrome! Eventually this misinformation goes around until the average guy/gal believes it.

If somebody really likes cruisers, I say go for it. I have friends who love theirs'. But this idea that Indian has to make only cruisers is ridiculous--and probably self-defeating. If they want to be something like the old innovative, spunky Indian they should consider something other than just a retro-cruiser.

Make Indian STAND for something. As it is, it's just a label, not a brand.

I like sportbikes, but Indian better stay away from the technological pissing contest that the Big 4 are always having. Yes, some people will always want the bikes that are winning races--even if they're not the best streetbikes--but I bet there will be a lot of people who would love to have an alternative to the extreme race ergos, peaky power, and razor-sharp characteristics of race replicas--especially if someone (ahem, Indian) makes it cool. Indian needs to produce, contemporary,

high-performance-but relatively simple machines with knockout looks. They need their own identity.

Most of all they need to change the perception with many people that you're either a supersport rider or a cruiser rider. Maybe you're neither.

lcarlson 08-04-2004 05:19 AM

Buell.

nokneedragin 08-04-2004 05:43 AM

Land Bridge

I ndigenous

N orth american

D ecendants of

I migrant

A sian

N atives

longride 08-04-2004 05:46 AM

Re: Good move

"Indian needs to produce, contemporary,

high-performance-but relatively simple machines with knockout looks. They need their own identity."

That one sentence is probably what every motorcycle manufacturer would love to have, but it's easier said than done in a fickle market.

mscuddy 08-04-2004 06:24 AM

Re: Disturbing, yes?

Well said. I just like goading KPC into a frothing fit. I could care less too.

mscuddy 08-04-2004 06:30 AM

Re: mscuddy and WMD and VDubya

Thanks for the compliment. I see the baton, err, dipstick has been passed. Keep up the good work.