Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 08-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #51
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

Great invesment for Stellican, now they have ready made blue prints for anchors for their boats. You know, function before form.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #52
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Kook Kriswell.

Wait a minute! you mean I can't sell this hammer'd 1988 softail that I butcherd with aftermarket crap and my own incompetance for $15000 ?

The HD dealer told me this was an investment!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:35 PM   #53
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Easy there Hiawatha

" Easy there Hiawatha"

Laughing too hard...gasping for air...need oxygen...not sure I can...

(Really, please. Of course the Indian was a Harley clone. It used all of the same basic elements that make a Harley a Harley. I don't care if the fenders and tank were shaped a bit differently.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:45 PM   #54
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Disturbing

Who cares where they make Victory's or if Fuji has any say in design. People from Wisconsin and Japan all talk funny anyway, who knows what the hell they're talking about

I'll make a prediction for you, kpaul will want but won't be able to afford a Rocket111, Triumph will survive just fine without him. Indian will bounce along the bottom for a few years then file bancrupcy once again. Victory will increase market share with performance cruisers and Harley will continue to dominate the cruiser market.

Take those to the bank
Old 08-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #55
billhawley
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of nothing but a name?

The real tragedy was not Indian, but the demise of Excelsior-Henderson in my estimation. They at least had a truly proprietary engine and driveline (and that huge front end looked a LOT better in person than in pictures -- very effectively paying homage to the look of their original namesake machines). Not too unlike the "muscular/ broad shouldered" look of many modern Confederate brand motorcycles. Not a bad way to look IMHO.

There were some mechanical teething problems to be sure, but fixes were developed and promptly put into the pipeline as Service Bulletins. The bikes are quite sound if these few known problems are corrected. You really can't fault the management for delaying the production ramp up until they resolved those issues. Perhaps in hindsight, they probably put far too much emphasis on quality (though I think they wanted that to be the thing that helped them stand out from the "other" V-Twin manufacturers). The bikes and paint jobs were jewel like in the flesh, and very clearly worth the asking price (compared to competitive bikes).

It begs the question: Where were these savvy white knight "investors" when E-H had such a fully developed machine, an ultra modern production facility and trained (albeit by then mostly laid off) workers; but only lacked the resources to finally properly promote their product and build a dealer body? It clearly would have been the better investment (basically a turn key operation for them). It may not have had the instant cachet of the Indian name, but it was real product.

Indian did nothing but rebadge CMC choppers, sell some merchandise and run a fancy Toronto coffee shop (while mostly proceeding to waste untold amounts of money on embarrassingly exhorbitant displays at motorcycle shows; and hiring clueless "car guys" to run the (mis)management show -- at their big car guy salaries, and one can only assume providing them with nice cushy offices too). As others pointed out, even their Power Plus (yawn) was a warmed over design that broke no new ground AT ALL. Still, they managed to ***** away probably as much dough as E-H and really have nothing to show for it.

Let's hope they don't hire back any of those meatheads as "consultants"...
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:36 PM   #56
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Good move

You're right about standards, they are the perfect all around do any type of riding bikes

You can stick a windshield and bags on one and tour, you can take them off again and cruise, you can get some sticky tires and shred it like a ripper, all on the same bike.

One of the big problems I see is bikes getting to specialized into full-on sport bikes or retro cruisers that are too narrowly focused for me any way.