Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 08-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #41
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: That's Mr. Dipstick

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #42
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

Exactly.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #43
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul predicts

You do realize that all baby boomers are no older than 61, don't you? Why would they suddenly start dying off at that age when the average American male lives to be mid-70's, and life expectancy in the United States is steadily increasing?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #44
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul predicts

Whoops, make that 59, not 61.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #45
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Actually you have it backwards as usual

S&S may make a fine engine, but it's still a clone, and until Indian makes their own motor they'll always be a clone company like Titan or the others.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:35 PM   #46
roperin
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian Motors

The last iteration of Indian did in fact design and build its own motor, as part of the requirement from investor groups. The PowerPlus 100 cubic inch motor was beautiful and available on the new Chiefs. I hope they can retool to put that motor back into production. And anyone who rode or even got close to an Indian realized it was NOT a Harley clone.
roperin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:45 PM   #47
asphanaut
Founding Member

Default Re: Good move

"I also think that the last Indian debacle has tarnished the brand. It has lost some of it's cache. It's easy to think of it as just a *****d-around label someone is slapping on a mediorcre motorcycle."

Exactly what I was thinking as I cruised off to lunch on my Vic. Indian is just gonna be the girl whose name you got off the bathroom wall.

I'm riding my Vic a lot these days as I piece my Ninja back together after the last track day (hey why stop at draggin just yer knees is what I say). So as I lollygag along the road in my cruiser and notice that no one under my 43 years is on a cruiser I'm thinking - does Victory, Harley, and the Stellicon Indians ever get out on the road and see their future ?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #48
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Easy there Hiawatha

We realize the brainwashing has taken full effect but to deny the PowerPlus has H-D Evo architecture is denial of the highest order.

A Titan was a Harley clone and an Indian was worse.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #49
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

What hasn't been done yet? Let's see...oh there's electric motors and hybrids.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #50
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Good move

Yeah, you know there's this impression among many that the cruiser is the type of bike people "mature" into. Well that's true with many people, but mostly because that's what they've been conditioned to think.

Thirty years ago, the UJM was killing H-D. No one else was making "cruisers." Guess what? Almost everyone was riding a UJM. And not many complained.

Then, H-D took off. They were especially effective at tapping into the sensiblities of the Baby Boomers. H-D was their youth and untapped rebellion. It was also exclusive (for a time, a least), and H-D became a status symbol.

But does any of this really justify the "almighty cruiser" as the definitive American motorcycle?

I guess it does, but only by default. If there were more American MC companies over the years, we'd probably have some very different motorcycles. But since the "American motorcycle" was left to one manufacturer, it ended up defining the entire genre.

But, the Baby Boomers are getting old. Many will leave riding in the not-too-distant future. While the traditional cruiser will continue to sell, and is the right option for many people, I don't think it touches the same chord with many of us younger folk.

This is all a long way of saying that the traditional cruiser market will probably get smaller in the future. We don't need another retro cruiser company. We need an American company with fresh ideas. Forget race replicas, too. Indian should take a very different approach. I posted my thoughts about this further up the board, so I won't go on again here, but I think that Indian could position themselves as "American muscle." As with any fashion, the retro-cruiser dominance will fade eventually, especially when there is market saturation and someone comes along with a desireable alternative.

Even my older brother, who owns a 2000 Victory and a first-generation Triumph Sprint 900 is under the impression that cruisers are "more comfortable...better for longer rides...the right bike for mature people." The thing is, when I'm riding with him, he seems to enjoy the Triumph a whole lot more.

In most objective areas, cruisers don't really hold any advantage. They're really not the most comfortable bikes for most people (standards probably are). They don't handle that well. They're too heavy. And engine performance isn't the most exciting. I would argue the best all-around bikes for the most people are super-standards/naked sport bikes and some touring bikes. They just don't sell because they've been left in the shadows of the supersports and the cruisers. They're packaging is too vanilla. It's all a matter of perception.

It's a perception that some brave American company will challenge someday. If successful, that company will make a lot of money. How about some sexy, uniquely-styled, high-performing, American bikes with the elusive "character?"

I would love to buy an American bike. It's just that no American company is really paying attention to people like me--yet.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote