Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 08-03-2004, 02:54 AM   #11
gruss
Founding Member

Default Has anyone considered that Americans might like a sportbike?

Use the brand to get us sucked in, then build something besides a crusier.

Not everyone wants to ride a tractor, give me some heritage with a fairing decent power, handling and brakes and perhaps I'll bite.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2004, 03:28 AM   #12
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

I'm not big into boats, but I recognise the cris-craft name. Do any of you MOrons have any knoledge about the suposed turn around these guys have done for Cris-Craft. Please speak up, are they any good, did they just start making boutique boats, that look good but don't run worth a sh!t.

Please fill us in if you can.

I also am getting tired of the Indian name getting draged around by speculators and frauds. Leave it to die, or be serious, and do what they have done with Triumph. You know, invest, invest, invest, and don't expect a profit for the first few years.

Also, Don't be a Harley clone, sure sell some cruisers, but give us an all around line of bikes.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:18 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Stellican Limited, Owners of Chris-Craft Boats Acquire Indian Motorcycle Brand

Indian was a great brand when they made motorcycles that they believed in. If these guys just try to cash in on the name they might as well buy E-H too. I guess we can wait and see what comes of the acquisition, but I doubt great things are on the horizon for this trainwreck of a brand.

i
Old 08-03-2004, 05:53 AM   #14
pdad13
Founding Member

I'd love to see another brand in the market, especially Indian. But they'd better do this right. Victory does has a significant head start on them, contrary to what this press release says. Oh, that's right, actually, they don't even acknowledge Victory. The Indian brand is indeed valuable, but with the way it's been shat upon recently, and the memories of all those owners and dealers who got stuck with expensive and rapidly-depreciating reminders of the fiasco, my guess is that most people would rather roll the dice on a Victory. The new Indian is going to have to prove themselves before they'll see any real heritage brand benefit.

I just don't see how much more room there is for another strictly-cruiser manufactuer. Going head to head with a giant in a given market like H-D--with a nearly identical product--is usually suicide. Victory has at least positioned themselves as something like the "american performance cruiser alternative" brand. Even with the name, Indian is far behind. In fact, in the short term, the Indian brand could be a handicap untill they build public confidence.

Sure, some people will go out and buy one just because of the name on the tank. But that won't be enough to grow a healthy company.

They'd better come up with some interesting product. How 'bout giving us a broader range of bikes--not just Harley-like cruisers? If handled deftly, that's also one way to deposition H-D, and perhaps, lessen their stranglehold on the U.S. market.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:27 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

One thing to consider is - just how big is the potential of the novelty bike market for big twin cruisers? If you look at the current market it appears to be slowing. There are loads of used HDs for sale and they don't seem to be moving too well because the owners don't understand that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A 5 year old HD isn't worth more than a new one any more, no matter how much gingerbread and doodads you bolt on it. The waiting list is a thing of the past.

If indeed the bike market is slowing up, and the frantic attempts by the Big 4 to get their bikes to move are an indication of this, then this is not a good time to try to introduce a new brand. The dealers in Salt Lake are chock full of bikes this summer. In fact, the only brands which appear to be moving are Triumph, HD and Ducati. Sportbikes galore and V-twins gather dust at the Japanese shops. The only bikes that fly out the door this year are Dual Purposes. A guy at Honda Suzuki Salt Lake told me that he can't keep Suzuki's DR400s on the floor.

The market does cycle up and down. A down market is a stupid time to re-introduce the Indian name if all they are going to offer is yet another big twin... and especially if the price is as ridiculous and the product is as shytty as the last ones.

Maybe they can pull it off if they offer a whole line of basically reliable bikes like Triumph did. And if they improve the bikes rapidly like Triumph did. And if they can piggyback on an established line of dealerships like Triumph did with Harley at first. If if if if.....
Old 08-03-2004, 06:50 AM   #16
Haird
Founding Member

Yeah, a wooden Indian would look great parked in front of a cigar store.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:25 AM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Jeez, talk about throwing money down a rat hole.

When this whole resurrection tanks, IÂ’m sure theyÂ’ll be some giant tax write-off for Mr. Julius (that probably gave birth to the whole idea anyway).

Maybe they can get Fuji Heavy Industries to manufacture the motor. Bwaaa ha ha haÂ…

Old 08-03-2004, 07:46 AM   #18
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Variety is the spice of life!

Thats basically my thoughts also. Yea sell a cruiser style, but toss in a hooligan bike, with real sporting parts, than a sport tourer (leaning more to the sport). A nice diverse line up to catch the differing winds. All goes without saying they better have the quality down pat out the door.

The Triumph analogy is a proper one, it seems theses guys have deeeeep pockets. So a year or three (like triumph) of losses on the books won't hurt them. Then they can get a new engine (I hear rotax has some for sale) put it in say three different frames (cruiser, standard/hooligan, ST) toss a catalog of options at them, and see what the market decides.

If they give me something other than a cruiser, I'll walk in the door and kick the tires, maybe even buy one if the quality is there.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:48 AM   #19
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Wooden Indian

Yes, Harley is the mass marketing-lifestyle 800 lb. gorilla in the heavy cruiser market.

It would be nice if Indian's new handlers would chuck the whole "cruiser" segment, and capitalize its racing heritage (board track, flat track) and give us some kick-butt v-twin sport bikes.

But I doubt it.

Old 08-03-2004, 07:59 AM   #20
asphanaut
Founding Member

Excellent! As an owner of a '99 Victory I've waited 5 years to be able to accuse another brand of being a Victory clone !

Seriously though. Why the heck does loyalty to the legacy mean that they have to build giant rumbling chrome boat anchors? Didn't Indain used to race... and even win? MAYBE, just MAYBE they ought to view their legacy in performance not just ponderousness?

Can we get some go fast wheels made in America for crying out loud !