Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 01-27-2004, 01:08 PM   #71
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian plant auction this week

I hate to sound like a broken record, but we're talking apples and oranges here. The plant in this thread is not the same one that you are talking about. It's not even the same company. It's like saying well, Harley went out of business but OCC is still making them....?! You're refering to Indian choppers, built to resemble the originals. From what I understand, the ones you talk about are somewhat customized, albeit not what the average discovery channel watcher would call "custom". The ones this entire story is about, were never built. The plant shut down after it looked like they were lining up additional investors, but they backed out a couple of months ago. About 4 weeks ago (or so?) I believe there was a story about 300 people being let go by Indian. I don't think the Indians you are refering to are being built by a 300-people strong plant. Probably more along the lines of a 20-40 man shop.
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #72
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Re: Gone in Sixty Seconds...Again

You're absolutely right. There's so many factors that play into that, and these days it seems that the game is stacked AGAINST manufacturers. Example: you make a doohicky device, spend $100,000 to get it ready for production. Now you have to have it tested, approved. That'll cost another ... let's say $250,000 or so compared to the development cost. And imagine what happens if a flaw is found. Imagine what happens if they find that when a monkey/consumer pulls here, pushes there, and twists that thing while hanging upside down from the ceiling, there's a 5% chance of bruising your finger. Back to the drawing board, more $$ in the toilet. Then back to approving and testing. Back and forth until the device has become so bloated, so expensive that your market has become the super elite in Manhattan and Hollywood.

Compare that to other countries, where the lawyer - consumer ratio is maybe 1/200th of here, and lawsuits are few and far between.

Just one example, don't even get me started on the crazy government approvals and how to grease officials to get anything done.....
Old 02-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #73
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Re: What about Buell?

"both have gotten rave reviews from almost everyone that has ridden them"

Maybe here, but not in Europe. From the european magazines that I read, I have to tell you that they OVERWHELMINGLY hate them. They like the ergos, they like the feel, but apparantly the thing that keeps them from making the upper half of the comparisons is the vintage engine. First, it's a twin, second, it's got no HP. In europe, torque is thought of a trait for cruisers and touring bikes, not for sportbikes. I believe a recent long-term test on a buell ended in sportbike magazine (UK) and the reviewer couldn't fit enough bad language about the machine in his article. Even kawasakis have fewer maintenance problems, and that's a big factor in Europe - not everyone has the space/time to own/run/supply their own garage like we do here in the US.