Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 01-22-2004, 06:19 AM   #41
KPaulCook
Banned

Default You are so out of it. In the U.S there is no one standard. HDTV for SDSU grads

"The private sector in the U.S. The U.S. standard for HDTV is the one which will be adopted." Bull shyt. "HDTV is a type of television signal, which is scheduled by government mandate to replace the current US standard, NTSC, by the year 2006." No free market thing here

As far as a coherent HDTV standard there isn't one. See <a href="http://www.petesguide.com/technology/HDTV/"> See HDTV American Disaster.

Buz eh airhead stay to what you do best selling snake oil (health insurance) to vunerable seniors
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2004, 06:24 AM   #42
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Best poster here

I have to agree with every thing you said. Unions are to blame for everything. We all remember how good things were when the corporations could do whatever they wanted. Yeah those were the good old days before child labor laws, minimum wages, and pollution laws. Yes, life without Unions would be bliss. Yes, and we all know the Canadians have the right answers to everything. We see how many motorcycles are manufactured there. Yeah, Harley really is selling a 'brand image". The fact they outsold Honda in motorcycles makes no difference. Take those T-shirts away and Harley would sink like a lead balloon. I have to say that next to KPaul, you have to be the smartest and most educated poster here. Are you and engineer by any chance? Are your MSF scores handy?

Old 01-22-2004, 06:30 AM   #43
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Economics for dummies and SDSU grads.

"Taxpayer dollars shouldn't be spent on any of this, fuel cell or hybrid". Unfortunately the oil market is not a pure free market. It has several added caveots. First OPEC which negatively changes the market to one modeled by a single supplier. Second, political costs for foreign oil are not factored in to the price of oil. Example, We have to repel Iraq from Kuwait cause Sadam would have a corner on the oil market. We have to comprimise our beliefs to support regimes like Saudi Arabia who repress human rights and are not democracies.

This is why government has to be involved in promoting energy independence. Our government has no way to break up OPEC because it is a foreign entity. Second the political cost is not factored in the price of oil.

The Japanese are smart by necessity.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:42 AM   #44
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian plant auction this week

Dude, I don't think you get it. Indian went out of business before their motorcycles hit the market (at least the one that this fire sale is about), and the ONLY bikes that were completed were the prototypes. The 80-some bikes on sale are MUSEUM PIECES in various state of restoration. I can't believe, even for one second, that Indian, i.e. $15,000+, bikes outsell any of your named sellers - especially since every single on reported some of their best sales years in the last two years.

Lot's of Indians in San Diego? Is that where they are made, or is that where they are RESTORED?? Maybe you keep riding around some kind of restoration club??

And the comment about Suzuki and Kawasaki not burning the podium - at least they COMPETE. Ducati/Honda/Yamaha have been kicking butt in several classes this past year. Harley isn't even present. Except for the occasional museum piece parked somewhere at the racing side-show that is....
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:46 AM   #45
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Re: Remember Japanese Junk?

I don't think it was a quality issue. After 3 1/2 years (actually the story started in 1995 I guess), they hadn't produced one bike from this plant. You can't run a company that eats millions of dollars in overhead a month that way. You have to start with product, then manufacture to suit the demand. Not sell "bubbles" and "dreams" - it's like selling magic software that doesn't do anything. Can't generate $$ if you can't generate product.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #46
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Economics 101, 201, and 301.

"The catch is, if everyone gets more money, the cost of living goes up for everyone, therfore you need more money..... This is the single biggest impact to US manufacturing, the cycle has been going on since WW2"

What you are describing is something called INFLATION. Contrary to what most people think, controlled inflation is the PRIMARY reason that the US has enjoyed over 50 years of economic growth. If you want to see countries where there is DEFLATION, I recommend you visit the UNICEF website and click on some links entitled "Where is ETHIOPIA" and "Where do you not want to be".

Also, we (americans) do not live in a bubble where economic factors only affect us. If jobs were to be moved to foreign shores, especially 3rd and 4th world nations, the disparities between laborers and poor is somewhere in the magnitude of what the US experienced at the turn of the 19th Century. THEY TOO WILL HAVE INFLATION. It will be found anywhere where wages are increasing. Inflation is a sign of growth, not weakness as you would have people believe. Provided it is not RUNAWAY INFLATION as we briefly experienced under Carter in the late 70's. If you want an example of runaway inflation, look at South America, especially Peru, Guatemala, even Mexico. Not a pretty thing either. We are far from that sad state.

And don't blame the American blue collar worker for inflation. I would blame the upper echelon, that since the early 90's has somehow managed to earn wages sometimes SEVERAL HUNDRED times larger than that of the average worker. Even when the companies where losing money. It's not the Unions that are driving inflation. It's the greedy corporate types: The shareholders, the stock market. You've been duped by the knuckleheaded TV people that never bother to actually get the meat of the story. They just skin the chicken a bit and serve it up, mostly 'cause of laziness I guess.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 AM   #47
pplassm
Founding Member

Rock, you're confusing three lines of bikes:

1. Old Indians, which ended production in the 50's.

2. The ressurected Indians with S&S (or other) clone engines, which have been produced for the past couple of years.

3. The new engined Indians, prototyped and awaiting manufacture by the company in #2, which never hit the showroom.

The Indians Buzglyd is referring to are #2, as is the the one owned by my neighbor.

I won't get into the other Indian resurrections, including the dirtbikes from the Orient marketed in the early 70's.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:13 AM   #48
pplassm
Founding Member

Default ( Mandatory SV650 content)

Hopefully, some of them will come back. This year, the Supertrackers (1000cc production based twins) get to run with the XR750s. I have seen 'trackers based on Suzuki, Honda, and Ducati powerplants.

Suzuki was also campaiging bored out SV650s with limited success against the XRs last year.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:14 AM   #49
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Ride smart... live longer.

"People who ride only for the adrenaline rush often don't last long in our sport. "

Well, that kind of describes me, and I've been riding for over 34 years. Hopefully, my number won't come up for a few years.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:16 AM   #50
rock06r
Founding Member

No, I think both of you are confused. What factory do you think this thread is about?

I've been to several bike meets, bike shows, etc this past year, and I have seen nothing but antique Indians which their proud owners showed off - some were better restorations than others, but NONE were new (i.e. built in this century or even the 90's of the previous century).