Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 01-22-2004, 05:18 AM   #31
cfc
Registered Member

Default Re: Ride smart... live longer.

Correct on the rider skill and bike capability. I have a 100 hp Road King, and I regularly pass sport bikes. They always seem a little surprised when you pass them and they realize that it was a harley keeping up to them in the corners, and now passing them on the straight. Of course they always have to blow by me at 2ook just to show me who's got the stuff!

A few days at the track help everyone(cruiser / sport bike), to learn how to really ride. It's worth the time the money, and possibly your life!
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2004, 05:21 AM   #32
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Quality

Quality only suffers when the top executives worry more about their own pay packages then the company they have been hired to nurture. Just because Skull and Bones puts these guys into these high paying positions doesn't for one minute make them capable leaders.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:22 AM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Ride smart... live longer.

Where did I say to ride a cruiser? I only said to develop an appreciation for relaxed riding and to be careful where you ride hard. This applies to sportbikes as well. At legal speeds any supposed handling or braking advantages are inconsequential since even a pig bike like my old Superglide could stop faster and handle better than 99% of cars. As you say, skill is paramount. World class braking won't save an idiot.

I've seen far more people bite it on sportbikes than cruisers. The junkyards are way over represented by crotch rockets. A bit of caution is in order, that's all.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:32 AM   #34
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Toyota

Toyota is going to eat everyones lunch. They are so far ahead of the curve in Hybrid tech that most all the other auto manufacturers are paying Toyota for their Hybrid Tech. And the funny part is that Toyota is not selling their latest tech which is in the Prius and soon to be in the Highlander and Lexus Rx300 suv. Don't get me wrong, I wish that our American companies were in charge instead of scrambling to just catch Toyota's crumbs. Our government has not helped in this matter. Bush cut the funds for Hybrid research the second he took office and changed it all over to Fuel cell research. Bush new full well that fuel cell auto were way out into the future and that meant that his oil corp buddies would continue to reap profits off the gas guzzling public for years to come. Toyota has thrown a monkey wrench into Shrubs self serving plans. What's he going to do, tell Japan that they've got to quit making fuel efficient vehicles because it pisses off Haliburton?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:44 AM   #35
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Motorcycles

Sometimes I go on about Harleys being the only worthy bike but this is mostly to ***** off the one's cutting down Harley. I love motorcycling and each bike that I've owned has given me countless hours of pleasure. We biking types have got to worry more about the non-biking worry warts that don't have a clue about why we do and love what we do.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:36 AM   #36
nosajwols
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian plant auction this week

What kills most US manufacturing is the cost of labor. You can blame the unions for that. Even non-union compaines have to pay more for labor to compete with the unionized companies for talent.

The catch is, if everyone gets more money, the cost of living goes up for everyone, therfore you need more money..... This is the single biggest impact to US manufacturing, the cycle has been going on since WW2, now we are priced WAY out of the market! IMO it is too late now and we all better get use to it, it is so far out of proportion that it cannot be fixed, the US will never compete again with overseas manufacturers. And don't even get me started on how unions have held back automation etc. for "job security."

This cost is the reason why R&D is falling behind, compaines have cut R&D money to pay their workforce!

Now Indian failed because they did not follow the original intentions of the Canadians that participated in the restarting of the company. Their idea was to make a small number of bikes per year and make money from the brand image (basically a large custom builder, selling lots of T-shirts). Making a small number of bikes per year your workforce costs become less significant. Instead the owners got gready and thought well if we make (well try) a lot of bikes.... You cannot go toe to toe with Harley in the NA cruiser market unless you have big pockets and cheap bikes....

In the end Harley is really selling brand image, if you took the T-shirt etc. sales away do you think they would still be profitable?
nosajwols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:58 AM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Toyota

Taxpayer dollars shouldn't be spent on any of this, fuel cell or hybrid. That's not the role of the Federal Govt.

The Japanese Govt got involved in HDTV development. The private sector in the U.S. The U.S. standard for HDTV is the one which will be adopted.

Instead of reading Al Franken books, try Article 1, section 8 of the U.S. Constitution.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #38
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Post

"With the added benifit of better breaking and handling." Well said.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:06 AM   #39
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Point

"Start-up companies Aprilia and Triumph are successful because they manufacture bikes that appeal to a world wide market not just to the domestic market.

The top selling bikes in England, Japan, Australia and Europe are sport bikes with cruisers no where in site. The US market and probably those Canadians are the only significant market for cruisers" Well said. Don't feel bad if the three stooges (longride, Buzglyd (Budglyd), and seruzawa) don't get it.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:16 AM   #40
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Gone in Sixty Seconds...Again

It's a lot easier to do wild stuff like shipping something to Mars when you don't have to have a business model because you can just get more money either by a.) sticking a gun in the collective faces of your 'citizens', or b.) printing more.

I think the Mars Rover is neat as hell, but I don't think anyone would call it a sound business investment. It's a step far too early.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote