Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 01-21-2004, 11:27 AM   #11
amp5
Founding Member

Default Re: Gone in Sixty Seconds...Again

Indian was a private company. Honda, HD, Suzuki, etc are public companies with shareholders. I don't understand how shareholder's = poor quality?
amp5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #12
NathanM
Founding Member

Default Re: NOT HAPPENING

The auction is still happening it just now being handled by a company called National Retail Equipment Liquidators - you can find the details here:
<ul>http://www.nrel.com/nrel-liquidation-locations.html[/list]
NathanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian plant auction this week

I wonder if bikes like the Aprilia Tuono and Ducati Monster S4 count as sport or standard.

Is standard reserved for Bandits and Zr-7s and the like?

Judging by the cruiser sales, is it any wonder H-D isn't making anything else and the Japanese are falling all over themselves to come out with all new cruisers?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:33 PM   #14
rock06r
Founding Member

Indian sold more motorcycles than Duc, Aprilia, Triumph, and Vic??? Are you math challenged? Are you seriously suggesting that the COMBINED SALES of DUCATI, APRILIA, TRIUMPH, and VICTORY, were ONE Motorcycle? I say again.... OOONNNNEEEE????

Sheesh. I'm the proud owner of the only motorycle sold last year!! Did you know that Indian after 4 years of teeter tottering only produced 2 prototypes (on sale as we speak)? I think you're full of poopoo ... Admit it man, you just made that stuff up from the crack of yo' butt...!!!!

And how dare you invoke the name of the all-mighty superbike with the likes of Harley. As I recall, in it's first race parts of the engine fell off in one of the first laps and the team was a DNF.
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:42 PM   #15
rock06r
Founding Member

I think it's a matter of time. Unfortunately Harley has made a deep deep niche for itself that they will have huge difficulties crawling out of. In another 10 years I suspect that the harley crowd will begin to thin out (i.e. get old and die off, mostly of natural causes I hope, and not the "swatted by a cager"-type death). Look around at bike meets. It's the older crowd that hovers around the harleys. Young guys like me just can't afford them anymore. Even a used harley is just too $$ (value retention HAS a downside). When you talk to young riders, they all say: Sportbike (and let's be honest here, "standards" and "touring" bikes are by and large "sporty", or they'd be called "cruisers"). Once you get hooked on a Sportbike, once you feel that acceleration, get the "love" for twisties, why would you go to join the "old age" bikes?

It used to be the other way around. Remember when Harleys DOMINATED the racing world? When's the last time you saw one at a race?

rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #16
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Yeah, who can forget the 50 VR 1000's that were sold with a $50,000 price tag and the unforgettable performance in the super bike series, canÂ’t figure out why they went outside the company for engine and suspension development.

Start-up companies Aprilia and Triumph are successful because they manufacture bikes that appeal to a world wide market not just to the domestic market.

The top selling bikes in England, Japan, Australia and Europe are sport bikes with cruisers no where in site. The US market and probably those Canadians are the only significant market for cruisers.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:57 PM   #17
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Grand National - would that be the 883 sportster series or is Grand National the series that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki left 10 years ago, only then did factory supported H-D teams dominate the series.

2 years ago Suzuki started giving factory support to 2 teams running the TL 1000 V-twin, how long before they dominate the series again? How long would it take for Honda to dominate the dirt track again?

Old 01-21-2004, 01:07 PM   #18
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Pro/con/philosophizing

I hear you, and I agree that the marketplace has spoken....

But there still is something deeply depressing about the auction of any factory, something about the broken dreams of so many people. Not just the founders, managers, etc, but the people who fed their families working there.

I have been involved in the closing of a number of plants -- often it was my financial analysis that determined that they should be closed, but no matter how much I knew that it had to be done, it was always hard to keep the tears out of my eyes when I would witness the actual closing.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I didn't say combined. But according to American Rider, Indian's actual numbers were higher than each of those companies individually. They actually sold quite a few in 2003.

I own a Ducati. I see lots of Indians on the road here in San Diego. Just the occasional Triumph and Aprilia. Quite a few Ducs here in SoCal but they don't sell many nationwide.

I didn't say Harley was a good Superbike! Suzuki and Kawasaki haven't exacty been burning up the podium in Moto GP lately.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

So you're saying Harley is unsuccesful? Harley sells every bike it can deliver in Europe, Japan and South America.