Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 09-20-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
Jedi25
Registered Member

Default Re: Indian Motorcycles Shuts Its Doors

Here's a link covering the closing.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryne...ss/6818690.htm

Even though their technology wasn't the latest and greatest, I was hoping they would succeed.
Jedi25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well, I feel for the employees who've lost their jobs, however the new "Indian" wasn't any more Indian than a Kawasaki Drifter.

Another clone bites the dust.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 03:20 PM   #3
BobW
Founding Member

Their pricing didn't help. You had to really want that retro look. Interestingly enough, people who bought the original Chief with the big fenders tended to remove them; as a retro item it was never more than a niche. I did like the other models however.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
BobW
Founding Member

Oh, and I did drive by the empty Excelsior Henderson factory in Belle Plaine today. Thought about the dealer there that sold, you guessed it, Indians. And Triumphs. They have an unsold 2002 Thunderbird that they'll practically give away. Wouldn't want to make a living selling retros.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 03:42 PM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

Big surprise huh? The only way you can resurrect an old company is to come up with clean sheet designs like Bloor did

Charging top dollar for HD clones with extra sheet metal and aftermarket heads apparently doesn't make it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 04:59 PM   #6
mattg
Founding Member

It's a shame but there really was nothing that set Indian apart from Harley. Many arguments have been made about Indian being nothing but another clone company banking on a legendary name. I have to agree with this. rounded off cylinders can't change the fact that every other part, with the exception of the fenders, look like they just came straight from the Harley catalog. If anyone tries to revive the name again, let's all hope that they can be at least a little more unique.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
Captain_1
Founding Member

While its sad to see another American manufacturer shutter its doors, I'm not surprised. In addition to product, you need a strong (profitable) retail organization to succeed. Indian came up short in both areas.

Based on Indian's market research surveys emailed to me on a regular basis, I don't think they had a clue. I can also name a few other brands that are currently introducing new products -- but are miserably represented by a makeshift dealer body.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 05:40 PM   #8
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Honky Cheese Wagon Factory to Open in Gilroy

Gilroy, CA (UPI) Honky Cheese Wagon, inc., a new manufacturer of "upscale semi-mobile lifestyle display platforms" announced the opening of their plant here today.

Right on the heels of a press conference announcing the closure of the Indian Moto-Cycle plant in the same location, the announcement was a surprise to the leisure industry.

Lou Terhar, former president of the Indian Motorcycle corporation, had just finished one press conference announcing the closure of the one plant when he suddenly turned 90 degrees to face a different bank of cameras and microphones, donned a lime green vest and a dual beer can holding hat and stated, "Today is a great day for the upscale semi-mobile lifestyle display platforms industry." He then went on to unveil the new product, which looked like an Indian Scout motorcycle, but painted lime green with fuschia polka-dots. The vehicle is also equipped with training wheels, a Super Soaker(tm), and a 40 gallon aerosol dispenser full of Silly String (tm). Top speed is governed to 8 miles per hour, to comply with National Conference of Clowns and Jugglers (NCCJ) conventions.

"To save on costs, we will be making these units with special imported labor." Terhar than pointed to several 40-foot shipping containers with holes cut in the sides. Human voices could be heard from within.

"This is a product that should sell well," said C. Morton Funbrook, a leisure industry expert and author of "Severe Fun Warning-America's Leisure Purchase Obsession". "With the rise in demandd for such absurd products as $9,000 gas grills, Pot Bellied Pigs and Hummer H2's, Americans have demonstrated their eagerness to use their tax-cut dividends on completely useless, yet well-marketed, purchases."

As yet, delivery dates for the Honky Cheese Wagons have not been set.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 06:21 PM   #9
ofreen
Registered Member

The whole thing never made any sense to me. Why would anybody spend thousands more than you would for a new Harley and get an inferior motorcycle?
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 06:35 PM   #10
detansinn
Founding Member

Harley clones != Indians

Maybe this will open the door for the gentleman in Britain who is producing a modern rendition of the Indian 4-cylinder. Absolutely yummy.

http://www.p2r.se/mc/dakota4/
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote