Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 09-22-2003, 07:28 AM   #51
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re Honda Cubs

Isn't that incredible? that one bike pretty well mobilised the entire third world ('cept Russia)

Over their production run they must have built 50 million of them and still churning them out.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2003, 08:48 AM   #52
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian Motorcycles Shuts Its Doors

No, they sold their millionth last year, not a million every year.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:28 AM   #53
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Bummer.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:28 PM   #54
sarnali
Founding Member

well hell, whats a couple of zeros.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:20 PM   #55
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Kawasaki makes some bikes in the states too, in Nebraska.

I still say that a quality cruiser at a Japanese cruiser price with Indian on the tank would be a winner. The core Harley faithful might know its fake, but to the average Joe, it would be an Indian. Indian has a positive americana image.

I don't see many Japanese cruiser riders wearing Honda or Kawasaki tshirts. People buy Japanese cruisers because they are good machines at a resonable price. Nobody buys a Suzuki cruiser because they want to be part of the Suzuki brotherhood and get a Suzuki tatoo. That is Harley's goldmine, their brand name appeal.

The Indian name taps into the same goldmine, that's why there was a fight for rights to that name for so many years.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:15 AM   #56
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

The Harley faithful makes up most of the market. The Japanese make up the rest. If the Japanese can't appeal to the Harley faithful with this maneuver (sp?) it would be a wasted effort. The rest of the market doesn't care about brand name appeal, because if they did they would already own Harleys instead of Suzukis.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:44 AM   #57
bigjames
Premium Member

Default PUHLEEZ!

talk to ANYBODY who owned an AMF-Harley and then compare them to todays Harley-Davidson's. There is no comparison. All the new ones actually have both of their pistons installed.....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:51 AM   #58
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Bean Counters Suck

A couple of thoughts:

1) Was this new "Indian" ever profitable?

2) Bean counters like profits

3) Bean counters like to suck the life out of companies to enrich themselves and their stockholders.

4) Bean counters don't like it when you invest to improve the product (ask any Brit about that one).

5) Bean counters, well they count beans. When the can gets empty and has to be refilled over and over again, they quit filling it.

6) Bean Counters wanted BMW to quit making motorycles, eventhough motorcycles have saved that company serveral times

7) If Bean Counters had had their way in the 1980's there would be no Harley Davidson, I am thankful that someone at Dean Whitter actually rode....

Bottom line, Bean Counters have been the death of MANY motorcycle companies and will probably take out a lot more before it is over with,,,,,

9) and finally, BEAN COUNTERS EVACUATE LARGE VOLUMES OF AIR VERY QUICKLY (in case sucks gets censored, again)
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:18 AM   #59
jsimpson
Founding Member

Bites the dust again? You are referring to California Motorcycle Company, right? Indian couldn't even make a go of it by buying a fully operational clone assembler of aftermarket parts and adding the Indian badge. At least Excelsior Henderson was a proprietary motorcycle builder, with NO Harley clone parts, and 99% American content far greater than Harley's). Not to mention building a high-tech OHC 4 valve EFI engine design. Hanlon achieved something extraordinary in building an all new motorcycle without corporate support, even though the timing of his finacial needs was very unfortunate. How could he have possibly forecast that when he needed a large dose of production ramp-up money the dotcoms would take off on a rampage and siphon off available investor money. I'll be riding mine until I'm too old to ride any longer, and I've been riding nearly 48 years!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:22 AM   #60
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: and what about BigDog?

or pick up an Excelsior henderson where you can find one, add the two grand worth of required modifications to bring it up to production standards and blow the doors off any harley or clone. AND, have the only one in the cruise in or bike show or parking lot! And you can do all this for the price of a Sporty.