Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 09-22-2003, 05:13 AM   #41
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Indian Motorcycles Shuts Its Doors

Heck, Honda still sells a million 50cc Cubs every year.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2003, 05:16 AM   #42
seruzawa
The Toad

Though few should be pleased over this, there is one positive note to this. A motorcycle designed and built specifically for the total poseur crowd has failed. Maybe there is a finite number of poseurs after all.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:18 AM   #43
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: and what about BigDog?

Last I checked Honda's Shadows have a higher proportion of American domestically produced parts on them than any Harley. So, in a sense, buying Honda is "buying American".
Old 09-22-2003, 05:32 AM   #44
ValknMag
Founding Member

Can you tell me where you found that? I've been looking for the numbers on a Valkyrie for a while.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:33 AM   #45
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

1- 'Cuz the bike would still be made in Japan, unless they moved the factory here as well, so they couldn't say "Made in the USA". This would only make sense for Honda.

2- If this didn't work for Indian, it wouldn't work for the Japanese. Everyone would know it's really a Kawasaki. The reason most people buy Harleys over a Japanese bike is because they view it as an original/authentic cruiser, not just because it is American made. Those people wouldn't buy a Japanese cruiser with an American brand name on it, simply because to them it would still be a copy of a Harley, just with a different brand name. It wouldn't be any different than having a fifth Japanese brand.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:37 AM   #46
SpongeBOB
Founding Member

it seems they were making POS.

reviews from actual owner tells it all

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...mfgname=Indian
SpongeBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:13 AM   #47
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: and what about BigDog? - Revised

True however Honda is not an American company which is what they go on about.

Having owned both the Shadow and the Valkyrie I knew about the domestically produced parts issue because that's what I heard from my fellow Shad and Valk riders. It was like a pride thing that I never got. I figured if it helped them justify in their minds the choice of M/C they chose to ride good for them.

(To ValknMag: I found the parts differences at the old VRCC website, f6rider.com. That site is now www.valkyrieriders.com but I could find it quickly as the site has changed a lot since my last visit.)

I rode the Spirit 1100 and Valk Tourer because they were what I wanted at the time not because of some 10% more domestic parts content than a Harley. Nor do I now ride a Harley because it is an American company.

I ride the RoadKing because it fits me better than any other bike of its type. Had the Valk fit better and gotten better gas mileage it would still be in the garage. My ST1100 still has a spot right beside my FLHR and it always will. Guess what, last time I checked the ST is still not produced in America nor does it have more American parts than a Buell S3T.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:51 AM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

Actually I read it in an H.O.G. newsletter I got when I belonged back in the 80's. There was also an explanation that, even though Harley had to outsource to foreign countries, they were trying their best to buy parts from caucasian places like Australia.

That's one of the reasons I quit.

I also read it in a business article in a newspaper a long time ago. Not sure where you could find it now. I think the article also mentioned Gold Wings.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:03 AM   #49
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: and what about BigDog? - Revised

Actually the entire motor vehicle industry is so incestuous now that you would be hard pressed to find any vehicle that isn't outsourced globally. The manufacturers like to try to play the "made in (insert jingoistic label here)" card, but almost nobody builds a car or bike that isn't outsourced all over the globe. You can tell this because if you don't outsource like that you simply can't compete anymore.

Everybody gets their electronics from Malaysia, the Phillippines and Taiwan now. Volkswagens are built in Mexico. GMs are built in Canada and Mexico. Suzuki brings parts in from all over Asia, builds bikes, and ships them to the U.S.

It's all very well to wave the flag and all that, if one wants to. I prefer to get the most for my money and get the product that meets my needs. I don't really care all that much where it comes from. Unless it comes from DeBeers slave mines.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:22 AM   #50
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Victory

You see them around here from time to time, The first time I saw a V92C on the road I didn't know what it was which is rare for me. It was a rear quarter view in the next lane with some naughty hottie eye candy on the back so I was distracted...

The local multi line dealer sells Victory and has a section of the place set aside for them with pedasals and lights etc. it seems to generate as much foot traffic as the Suzuki, Honda and KTM sections.

I hope they do well, the Vegas and that new one look like winners.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote