Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Indian News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/indian-news/)
-   -   Indian Motorcycles Shuts Its Doors (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/indian-news/2122-indian-motorcycles-shuts-its-doors.html)

Buzglyd 09-21-2003 03:52 PM

Re: Victory

The press keeps calling it a success story because it is a nice bike but are they selling any?

I really like the Vegas but I have yet to see one on the road.

junk2000 09-21-2003 03:58 PM

Re: Indian Motorcycles Shuts Its Doors

Maybe their marketing people were just taking

that same logic of Harley over Yamaha one step further... :-)

detansinn 09-21-2003 05:38 PM

I've actually seen one on the road. Of course, I see the new Indians on the road around here as well. Heck, maybe I see dead people too. :)

We've got a large Indian dealership in my town, owned by the second-largest car dealership. Huge lavish structure with enormous Indian branding on the top of the building. The whole venture must be in the 10s of millions. It is only for the existence of this dealership (which opened in Spring) that I see any Indians around here.

TatdNPrcd 09-21-2003 05:45 PM

A local dealer carries the Victory line and he still has some old V92Cs on the floor even though they're marked down to under $10k.

He was considering dropping the line until the Vegas came along. After very quickly selling the five he was alotted he got two more from other dealers in less populated areas and sold them almost as quickly.

He's not thinking about dropping the line any more. This guy has been a Victory dealer since the beginning and I think he will be one for quite awhile longer now.

SmokeU 09-21-2003 06:03 PM

I rode an Indian Spirit something or other in Sturgis a couple of years ago. I thought it was the biggest POS I have ever ridden, electrical gremlins, stiff as all hell clutch, as gutless as an 883 Sporty, hardtailish ride, crappy handling. Their failure doesn't surprise me at all.

tomhorn 09-21-2003 06:43 PM

It's hard to build customer interest, let alone a customer base, selling $20,000+ fashion statements. Honda would have gone bellyup too if its first model had been the CB750 instead of the Dream or whichever.

toad0 09-21-2003 10:44 PM

No kidding. Why would anyone wait 6 months for an overweight, underpowered, oil-leaking, 80's technology Harley when there are so many better cruiser options on the market today? Especially now that Victory is kicking butt in the "American Made" department.

toad0 09-21-2003 10:51 PM

I saw a Kingpin just the other day, two-tone bronze and white paint, no touring options. I live in a little town called Yuba City, CA. So if there is one here, there should be plenty of Victory bikes out there in more populated areas.

Buzglyd 09-22-2003 04:22 AM

Is the chicken and donuts place still there?

seruzawa 09-22-2003 05:12 AM

I've seen a few around Salt Lake. In fact I saw one yesterday... blasting down the road with open drag pipes... badass bandana and the cruiser rictus on his face.... too bad his engine's very loud backfiring on compression braking ruined the effect. Though I doubt that he had any idea how incompetent that crappy accessory exhaust job made him appear.