Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Indian News

Old 09-21-2003, 06:49 AM   #21
BobW
Founding Member

Default Re: If it's the T-Bird Sport I'm there!

Straight TBird. Red and white, looks nice. I think there down to $6K incl. setup.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2003, 07:05 AM   #22
mattg
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian Motorcycles Shuts Its Doors

Hopefully Vincent will have better luck. The big difference is that Vincent is doing their own thing, and personally I really like what their doing. Indian was too much same old same old.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:24 AM   #23
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Wiking/Indian

They call it the Wiking. Saw it on the Wiking website at www.wikingmotorcycles.com/home/index.htm
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:40 AM   #24
KPaulCook
Banned

I really feel for the employees. The barriers to entry into to the motorcycle market are tough. Victory is backed by Polaris, extensive distribution and marketing experience. Indian was a tough sell to begin with. I questioned the strategy of building their own motors, instead of using S&S as they did in the early days. Also having a Kawasaki Drifter around doesn't help the niche Indian wanted.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:53 AM   #25
ebass
Founding Member

Default Victory

I don't know about their financial status, but I know about their bikes, and I can tell you that Victory appears well on their way to cementing their place as part of the American-made motorcycle community. They made a huge step up the foodchain last year, and while they haven't turned the press loose on the '04s yet, I'm picking the touring edition of the Kingpin as this year's Vegas-like success story. Indian failing didn't surprise me, Victory would be a shock.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 01:13 PM   #26
Dynaguy
Founding Member

I have to agree with the general tone of this thread. I hate to see anyone loose their job in a tough economy. However, Indian simply copied too much Harley technology, albeit a generation behind step. The "new" motor was about 90% evo tech. What guaranteed failure, however, was a pricing structure that limited market appeal. Look at the cruisers that populate the marketplace these days. The Japanese are offering cruising bikes of staggering quality at a fraction of the price of an Indian. Harley continues to thrive because of their name, image, quality and the loyalty of its customers. Potential newcomers should learn from this lesson as well as the example set by the Victory Vegas. Succes is possible, but a manufacturer must go its own way and offer competitive pricing.
Dynaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 01:17 PM   #27
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Ugly,slow,expensive and of inferior quality. How could failure shock anyone
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:01 PM   #28
redzrx
Registered Member

Yes but I believe Big Dog has money behind them .. I could be wrong but I Think the owner I from a rich background.. Can't remember the name of the company thou..

Mario
redzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:05 PM   #29
Mr_Bigglesworth
Founding Member

You know, that's not a bad idea, and it's already happening in the auto industry - Ford owns Jaguar and Aston Martin, VW has Rolls Royce etc.
Mr_Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:17 PM   #30
obandoj
Founding Member

And other one bites the dust... and another bites.. and another one bites... and another one bites the dust...
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote