Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
tweakedlogic
Registered Member

Default 97 magna barley idles and leaks fuel while running.

Just got this 97 Magna 750. Guy said he had the carbs cleaned last year 'cause it wouldn't run. he said it ran fine for three weeks then started messing up again. So he drained the carbs and stored it. He decided to sell when he couldn't get it to run this year.

First off, the gas smells "fresh". i don't see any rust in the tank, though I can only see a small area.
After a new battery I got it to start with the choke on and small spray of ether. After that first start, it will start with the choke on and closed throttle without the starting fluid. But if I crack the throttle it dies. If I turn off the choke it dies.

On top of that, while it's running, all four carbs pour gas from the over flow/drain ports on the bottom of the float bowls. and possibly above that too. But definitely from the over flow ports. Once I turn it off (or it dies) after a few seconds the fuel stops leaking.

So what's wrong? where do I start. I have a digital copy of the service manual, but it's no help with diagnosing this.
tweakedlogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakedlogic View Post
So what's wrong? where do I start. I have a digital copy of the service manual, but it's no help with diagnosing this.
Why is it that SO MANY people with no engine mechanics background at all seem to think that they can fix a motorcycle.......when if they had a car with a similar problem, they wouldn't even consider trying it themselves ?????

If you believe the story the PO told you, the problem is obvious.
All of the carb floats are stuck to the bottom of their respective bowls......or the attached needle valves are all gunked up.

Getting some carb cleaner directly into the bowls, letting it soak overnight and then tapping on each one with the butt of a screwdriver MIGHT fix your problem.

The good news is that your vacume operated gas valve works like it should to cut the gas off when the engine is not running.

The bad news is that because of excess gas going into the engine, part of it is probably running down into the oil. If you run it much that way, you may damage the bearings. IF you get the carb problem fixed, an oil change is required before you ride it.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
tweakedlogic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Why is it that SO MANY people with no engine mechanics background at all seem to think that they can fix a motorcycle.......when if they had a car with a similar problem, they wouldn't even consider trying it themselves ?????
Umm, I happen to be a certified master mechanic for Acura, and I do all the work and modifications on my 4x4, and Rx7. But they are fuel injected. Carbs are dumb, unprecise, and clumsy. Fuel injection is accurate, easy to diagnose and fix (usually).

I was asking so that somebody might be able to tell me something about the bike I don't know. Maybe I would get lucky and there is some little easy fix so I don't have to wrestle the carbs out of there.

however, Thank you for your back handed advise. I will pull the carbs tomorrow and drop them in the sonic cleaner at work.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:

however, Thank you for your back handed advise. I will pull the carbs tomorrow and drop them in the sonic cleaner at work.
"Back handed advice..." Is that like when your spouse whips a backhand across your face and says: "you'd better NOT go out drinking with the boys?"

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Umm, I happen to be a certified master mechanic for Acura,

OK, so let me re-phrase the question:
There are still a lot of vehicles on the road today with carbs (not Acura's maybe) so how does one become a "certifite master mechanic" without knowing the basics of how a carb works ???

AND I tried to tell you that removing the carbs is likely NOT necessary.....and might create additonal problems, even for a "master mechianic".

But go ahead and do whatever you want. Please do keep us posted with the results.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Nothing on a Magna is easy as you are about to find.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
"Back handed advice..."
It's because his fragile ego has been bruised........because he came in here and posted a message that looked like a clueless rookie......and somehow expected us to see through the ruse and figure out his real qualifications.

I thought the advice was pretty straight forward......but since he didn't like the way it was phrased, he seems to have lost the key points.......or is ignoring them just for spite.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
tweakedlogic
Registered Member

Quote:
It's because his fragile ego has been bruised........because he came in here and posted a message that looked like a clueless rookie......and somehow expected us to see through the ruse and figure out his real qualifications.

I thought the advice was pretty straight forward......but since he didn't like the way it was phrased, he seems to have lost the key points.......or is ignoring them just for spite.
What the hell is wrong with you. Do you troll the forums looking to pick fights.
I wasn't posing as a rookie. I listed symptoms. Being unfamiliar with this bike, I was hoping there was something maladjusted or a part that failed often on this bike. I can tell by looking that getting these carbs out is going to be a pain. I had never seen four carbs leak at once.

The back hand came in form of an insult and the assumption that I'm an idiot. And with every subsequent post from you there was another. I do understand how carbs work, my assessment is poorly in comparison to FI. I don't see how four separate floats could stick the bottom of the bowl at the same time. I have never experienced it. Forgive my ignorance but that is why I came to this board. Not to be bombarded with insults. I don't care what you think of me. I am taking your advice and cleaning the carbs. I thanked you for the suggestion. Now please please shut up, or at least chill out.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
The back hand came in form of an insult and the assumption that I'm an idiot.

I am taking your advice and cleaning the carbs.
There was no insult......yet....... and any assumption of idiot status was not done by ME.

My advice was ***NOT*** to remove the carbs and clean them manually. My advice was to get some cleaner into the bowls AS IT SITS.

Of course, maybe the previous owner lied to you and it never was right after the last carb cleaning. In that case, maybe the floats were just not adjusted right.......and a partial dis-assembly would be required to fix that.

Anyhow, I will be more than happy to take your suggestion and shut up.
Good luck.

Maybe someone else can help without offending your sensibilities.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Captain Steve
Registered Member

Quote:
There was no insult......yet....... and any assumption of idiot status was not done by ME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy rider 2

If you believe the story the PO told you, the problem is obvious.
All of the carb floats are stuck to the bottom of their respective bowls......or the attached needle valves are all gunked up.
I read that and thought the tone was a bit harsh. You basically called him a newb and then a gullable newb.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote