Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
dietzzd
Registered Member

Default Cover recommendations???

Hey all, I'm new to the site, so first, let me say hi!

I'm looking for a cover for my 1977 CB550 and wanted some advice on covers. Waterproof would be best as it will be outdoors as well as indoors. Looking online is almost futile so I wanted to go straight to the source. Thanks!
dietzzd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Dowco makes a decent outdoor cover, but it's pretty heavy for use indoors.

I have 2, a lightweight nylon one for sun and debris protection, and a heavy Dowco that I rarely use. Tour King makes a good lightweight "1/2 cover" for most bikes.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzzd View Post
Waterproof would be best as it will be outdoors as well as indoors.
Under what conditions will it be "stored".....like overnight ??

If that is always, or almost always, inside......then my opinion is that you don't NEED a cover at all.

A little rain won't hurt it on occasion and a little dust certainly won't either.

I bought a cover like 5 years (and 3 bikes) ago......and have yet to take it out of the case.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
dietzzd
Registered Member

I'm afraid that it will be spending time outdoors most of the time when I'm not riding so a waterproof cover is key. I've also seen the Cycle Shield but it seems to be a bit much living in an urban situation.....
Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzzd View Post
I'm afraid that it will be spending time outdoors most of the time when I'm not riding so a waterproof cover is key..
Contrary to what you might think, totally waterproof......like plastic.....is NOT a good idea as the bike will "sweat" with changes in temperature and they stay wet.

You need a waterproof but BREATHABLE cover.
Those usually are a little more expensive.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I bought a 3rd street cover for $55 a couple months ago. I've spent twice that much & not impressed with the differences. It has 2 upper vents for ventilation & lift prevention, several gromets, came with bungees & a storage bag (never use either). My only complaint so far (& was issue with others I've had) is the cloth liner that's supposed to contact my windshield isn't alighed properly for my model. The big bike covers all seem to fit an E. Glide or Wing perfectly, everyone else has to settle. I'm sure Yamaha offers one that fits like a glove for $200. I'm not willing to pay for it.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
dietzzd
Registered Member

Yeah, that's a bit above my price point. I've seen a company called Empire that sells a VIP cover but can't find any reviews online except for Amazon. Any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

For a weatherproof (notice I didn't say "waterproof") cover $50-$60 is what you'll pay. But the cover will last for years, and you can use it on subsequent bikes unless you go from a scooter to a Gold Wing.

If you need to go super cheap, get a blue plastic tarp and some bungees. Put a tee-shirt on the windscreen and bungee the tarp over the bike.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I drape my shield with a bath towel before covering it due to the liner not being in the correct place for my model. I wish I had done that over the winter, the top 2 inches of my shield is etched and blurs vision. I may cut the top of the shield off, I know it's taller then I need it to be, but afraid 2 up may become issue if I do. This weekend I'm gonna have her hold her hand above her head & see how much neutral air she has above her head at highway speeds. Scientific methods in place here, lol.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

If you go the blue tarp route, drape the bike in a bedsheet first to help resist abrasion, pick one up at Goodwill for $2. A fitted queen sheet is great for most models, use the fitted corners to hook the front & rear fenders and they come in available Star Wars, Strawberry Shortcake, Michael Jordan and everything inbetween. Better yet, use a camo tarp, noone will see the bike, not even Mother Nature who is your biggest threat.