Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda/)
-   -   Decisions.... decisions.... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda/18706-decisions-decisions.html)

mikesim 06-02-2011 07:27 PM

Decisions.... decisions....

I am getting ready to buy a new bike and I'm unsure which one would suit my needs best. I am 62 years old and my last bike (in 1970) was a Honda CB750 that I purchased new when I worked at a Honda dealer.

I am looking at a Honda Shadow RS or a Honda NT700V. It would be used primariy for commuting back and forth to work and also for pleasure riding. Both are entirely different bikes I know and the Shadow RS has a price advantage plus I am able to be flat footed when the bike is at rest. With the NT700V I will be on both tiptoes or flat-footed on one side only when at rest. This was also the case with my old 750 but I was a hell of a lot younger then.

Both have good reviews. Your opinions would be appreciated... many thanks!

Mike

Dr_Sprocket 06-02-2011 08:19 PM

Those bikes are totally different bikes. You need to figure out which one best suits your current wants and needs. For me, for regular commuting, I'd take the NT700V. No question.

Of course, the Shadow RS wins the style award and will definitely get you more looks.

A Star Ride 06-02-2011 09:26 PM

I'd prefer the NT700V myself but, no offence, at your age I wouldn't want a bike I can't back up

The_AirHawk 06-02-2011 09:41 PM

BossHoss 502 with a huge-ass blower and Nawz Injection, Yo.

There is no other "motorcycle".

trenttheuncatchable 06-03-2011 07:30 AM

What kind of commute? Maybe you can get the NT700V lowered with lowering links. Personally, I don't like being on any bike I can't flatfoot. Maybe you should look at an older Nighthawk 750 instead. Or something entirely different, the new CBR250. If they had a CBR500, I'd recommend that.

Morbo the Destroyer 06-03-2011 07:35 AM

NT700V for sure. It's far better for commuting right out of the box; you'll need to add a bunch of accessories to the Shadow that will never work as well as the NT's setup.

Now, if they happen to have a leftover DN-01...

pushrod 06-03-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 261018)
Now, if they happen to have a leftover DN-01...

Aren't they ALL leftover?

Easy Rider 2 06-03-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Star Ride (Post 260992)
I'd prefer the NT700V myself but, no offence, at your age I wouldn't want a bike I can't back up

I AM that age and that is a valid concern......as well as the tippy-toes concern with aging joints and legs.

I thought I was in love with the NT......but after seeing one and considering the price and the height, I decided it was just a crush.

NOW......I'm pretty sure I AM in love with the Shadow Phantom.....and my dealer actually had one in stock last week. I am resisting the temptation to go back again.

Actually I think my present VLX 600 is an ideal bike for those who tend toward old or small or weak but still want a capable bike. Right now, she is jealous of my lust over the black Phantom. ;-)

Red heads just can't take a joke, I guess.

12er 06-03-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 261027)
Aren't they ALL leftover?

I sat on one at Miller about 2 years ago, that was the only one Ive ever seen.

Morbo the Destroyer 06-04-2011 07:51 AM

If they had priced the DN within reason, they probably would have sold. They have one at Riva; it's actually a pretty cool looking bike. But for the price of a Concours 14, or two NTs? Nuts.