Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 05-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
eorose
Registered Member

Cool 85 Magna Update and Question

Hey guys-

So I've temporarily bypassed the gas tank issue by hooking up a small outboard tank to the gas line, which is working for now. I actually had it running a little bit, altho with a lot of coaxing. The choke does not seem to open evenly on both sides, so I had to pull it open with pliers on the right side. Anyway, check out the video here (if it works):

http://www.facebook.com/v/622855046591

I also have another question. If you can see the video, you'll notice some kind of liquid pouring over the engine at the end there. Turns out there is a tube, which looks like a breather tube, that the gas is coming out of. Any idea why this would happen?

I ran some B12 through it yesterday for a little bit. I'll try and run some more through it tonight and see how it does, but I'm 90% sure I'm going to have to pull, clean, and adjust the carbs. The plugs over the pilot screws are gone so I have a feeling that someone has tried to do it before and maybe that's part of the reason it won't stay running.

Any comments and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Last edited by eorose : 05-27-2011 at 12:54 PM.
eorose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

MO doesn't allow embedded videos, and I couldn't see if from here anyway.

If you've got gas coming out of the carb-vent(s), you've got a piece of crud in a needle-valve (or worn/non-sealing needle, or a "lazy" float [saturated or a pinhole]).

If it won't idle off-choke (and with the airbox-lid ON and sealed), you are DEFINITELY going to have to pull the carbs. The idle jets are plugged with varnish or some other crud.

Brush-up on your Sailor-cursing, and pack a Lunch (and probably dinner as well).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-27-2011 at 12:59 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
eorose
Registered Member

AirHawk - I edited the post with the video. It should just be a link that you can click now. Still not sure it will work but it did for me.

Sounds like I'm definitely breaking into the carbs then. Not a big deal (har har) since I bought it as a project. Sounds crazy but I kind of hope it's either something stuck in the needle valve or the floats. Looks like I can still buy the floats if they need replacing. If they are just saturated, can I simply dry them out, or do I have to replace them? I'm pretty sure the thing sat for a year with gas in it, so that seems like the most likely situation.

If it's a bad needle, that's going to be a bigger deal since they don't seem to sell those parts anymore...
Old 05-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
eorose
Registered Member

Also just noticed your bit about the airbox lid. I...um....well, I don't have one of those right now. And the whole airbox is off. Didn't figure that would make much of a difference but sounds like you think it does. Guess it's getting too much air since it doesn't have to work as hard to pull it in. Is that right?

Like I said, I'm kinda learning as I go - this is my first motorcycle project, and really my first time working with carbs.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
eorose
Registered Member

Well, I actually got the carbs out in about 15 minutes, not too bad I would say. Granted a lot of the stuff was already unassembled (airbox, covers, tank) but still, glad it didn't take me that long and I didn't have to unbolt the engine. So here's what we find.

Throttle plate for Cyl#3 looks nice.

Throttle plate for Cyl#1 has some build up. Guess it's getting to hot in there....

Jet #3--could use a cleaning...

Jet#1--holy moly.....probably going to have to straight up replace this...rust city.

I'm not sure if I can remove the starter jet on this one--Clymer's says some of them are pressed. But the main jets I should be able to. Should I just replace all of them or just the rusted one?

Any other comments? :P I'm actually feeling OK about this so far.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Gee those V-4s sound pretty good, don't they.

I like it just the way it is, don't change a thing. Put a bungee over that boat tank and HIT THE ROAD!

Seriously...keep at it. You may get it going yet. How come the rear wheel was spinning, did you put it in gear?

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Wait 'til you go to reassemble 'em, heheh!

Might be cheaper to see if a Breaker has a set of carbs for you. Those have been sittin' for quite a spell, I suspect.

Luckily, the jets themselves are relatively cheap, should you decide to go down that road. I'd try out a local Mom & Pop Moto-shop to see if they've got any sittin' in a drawer somewhere. It's Nasty, but hard to say if it's beyond-hope.

If nothing else, this what they call a "Learning Experience". Like, I myself learned, by working on projects just like this; to leave projects just like this to someone with more time and money than me.....

I will say this: DO NOT soak/spray any rubber parts in carb-cleaner, particularly the slides & diaphragms. They're hard to find, expensive when you do, and 30-year-old NOS parts are just as prone to cracking as the ones you have in your hand. Net Gain for "new" ones might = Zero.

That said, if Ma & Pa can't help you, these guys might be able to: Motorcyclecarbs Carburetors, Carburetor Parts and Carburetor Restoration

Here's the bowl-gasket kit, these guys appear to be out of them, but the above might have them: Carb Kit Capital - Motorcycle Carb Parts

These guys might have a set of carbs: CYCLE-RE-CYCLE PART II Motorcycle Parts

(BTW, I suspect carbs from a VF700/VFR750 et. all would work same-same on the Magna - you'd just have to re-jet them, might have to flip-flop a few cables, etc. - look at Bike Bandit for microfiche/exploded diagrams of your bike and the "donor" bike - ask @ Magna-specific forums what any of them have possibly done. For gawd's sake, don't kill yourself 20-minutes after you get it running.....)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
eorose
Registered Member

Great and powerful Morbo - Thanks for the encouragement. I was definitely laughing at myself once I started looking on these forums and everyone was saying the Magnas are disasters. I think it was just easier since I already had a lot disassembled looking for problems that didn't exist - don't get my started on the kill switch on this bike...

But yeah, at one point I did put it in gear to really get the wheel spinning. It spun a tiny bit in neutral when I really revved the engine (at the end of the video). Probably not a great sign, but I'm not too worried about it. The spin was pretty minimal.

AirHawk - thanks again for the continued info. There's a local bike shop that might be able to order new jets for me. They're only like $6 a piece on BikeBandit, so hopefully their about the same. Can I get away with replacing just the rusty one or do I need to replace all 4 (?

Thanks for the tip on the carb cleaner, but yeah, I read that other places too. I'll only soak the pieces that I can pull everything out of. I'm on the fence about replacing the bowl gaskets. They probably need it though.

Heading out for the weekend though, so this will have to wait till Tuesday.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Get it running and then sell it before the tranny blows. It WILL blow on the early Magnas. Valve trains are weak too.