Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 05-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eorose View Post
Air Hawk, you rock my world.

I do not have the EZ out, but I think I can finagle something. I've pulled the fuel level sensor out of the tank and opened the cap, so I'm letting the whole thing air out. I had your same thought: spark + fuel tank = bad. So i'm going to let that air out a bit and then take a crack at it with a chisel (screwdriver) and a hammer. I was thinking the very innermost ring, way up in there, was the one I wanted to move. But from what you're saying, it's ring #3 (numbering from the outside inward) that I want to dislodge, correct? Worst case is I bang it into the tank and I have to shake it out one end or the other.

Thanks a million. I'll also look into the anti-rust products. I wasn't aware they existed, but that will be a huge help.

Seriously, REALLY appreciate your help. I've really enjoyed this project so far. Of course, haven't gotten to the carbs yet. Not sure what they're going to need yet, cause I haven't gotten it to start on anything but starting fluid. ADVENTURE! I also know I have clutch and brake work to do, since I have a caliper stuck in the front and i had to replace the master clutch cylinder. Wee!!
If you beat it into the tank, I believe you've got a problem that will probably be solved only by another tank - IIRC there is a flange at the top of ring #2 (for lack of a better description) that holds the ring #3-4 assembly "captive" between the petweasel and itself - that's why it doesn't just fall into the tank. If you can break-free the rust wedging it in there, it should just draw right out of the tank.

Just occured to me: since you've got the reserve-indicator float out, see if you can "wiggle" the assembly from inside the tank as well. Anything you can think of to break it free of the rust.

This was not Honda's finest petschmenkel design.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
eorose
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'll hold off on the rust treatment for now. Can I just replace the standard fuel filter with a paper fuel filter, or should I add an additional one?

I took the fuel float out with the intention of trying to get at it from the inside, but no go. Not enough room to manuver anything.

All I've done right now is put a hole in the top of whatever is lodged in there. So I have air flowing through it now, but I'm betting that the only way fuel will get through it is if it's almost full. Might meet my needs for the moment though, since I just need to get gas flowing through it to see what it runs like. Can worry about tank replacement or longer-term solution later. If that doesn't work, I might just have to go out and buy a temporary plastic tank for the purposes of testing/tuning.

Might go to Home Depot and see about an EZ Out...
Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Can I just replace the standard fuel filter with a paper fuel filter, or should I add an additional one?

Might meet my needs for the moment though, since I just need to get gas flowing through it to see what it runs like.
IF.....you can get the old one out....AND the petdork will seal again without leaking......then you can just leave the in-tank one off and put a new filter in-line.

It would be better to have both, if you can find a replacement for the screen that is in the tank. The REServe function might not work right without it.

Please do NOT try to use the tank just with a hole poked in the stuck screen. That likely would let all kinds of particles of "crud" into the carbs themselves and make matters much worse.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
eorose
Registered Member

well there is already an filter in the fuel line, right before the fuel pump. that was the filter I meant. Basically, do I have to replace that with a Honda replacement or can I put any kind of fuel filter in there that will fit?
Old 05-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #15
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
that was the filter I meant. Basically, do I have to replace that with a Honda replacement or can I put any kind of fuel filter in there that will fit?
OH, THAT ONE.

Doesn't have to be Honda but you should try NOT to get one that is smaller; it might not pass enough fuel.

I think you will find that Honda ones aren't really all that expensive.
The dealer probably even has generic replacements in stock.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
IF.....you can get the old one out....AND the petdork will seal again without leaking......then you can just leave the in-tank one off and put a new filter in-line.

It would be better to have both, if you can find a replacement for the screen that is in the tank. The REServe function might not work right without it.

Please do NOT try to use the tank just with a hole poked in the stuck screen. That likely would let all kinds of particles of "crud" into the carbs themselves and make matters much worse.
IIRC it doesn't have a "reserve" function on it - only "on" and "off" - they put the float in there for the reserve-indicator to let you know you've only got ~10-20 miles to get to a station.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #17
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

If the corrosion inside the tank is anything like what you can see in the petc0ck photo, he's going to need to start with the old "Nuts, bolts, and a paint-shaker" routine.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #18
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
they put the float in there for the reserve-indicator
OOPS !
Forgot that he had mentioned that.
Should be no problem leaving the screen out then, if it will seal without it.
In that case, I think I'd be looking for an inline screen to go ahead of the fuel filter......to catch some of the big stuff going down the line.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
eorose
Registered Member

Hey guys -

No luck with the EZ Out. If there's something in there it's either farther down than I can reach or it ain't comin out. I'll figure something out though. Might take it to a machine shop and see if they can do something with it.

I can get a screen in there easily enough.

Good news though, I used a small outboard tank and got it going! So it does start and run. Sounds terrible and needs a lot of playing around with, but I did get it to idle for a little while and (with even more begging) got it to run. So now the real fun begins. Don't worry, I'll post in a different thread if I have other issue.

Thanks for your help so far, gentlemen.