Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 06-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Hey! I'll help! I did just what you are doing. Bought an 84 Magna as a project for $300. 3 years and $2000 later I sold it for $1000. Had to replace the tranny (they always blow). Dropped valve and bought another engine from a salvage yard. It always ran hot so I had to rig a bypass switch so the fan would always run when in stop and go traffic. The suspension is waaaayy to0 soft. Never mind that the cams are soft and the oil flow needs to be re-routed to keep them from self-destructing too.

Do yourself a favor and find another project. Early Honda V4s are shyt and those V4s singelhandedly destroyed Honda's reputation of infallible reliability. Don't say I did warn you. Anyone who tells you those old V4s are good bikes is either a fool or a liar.
Geez I figured he bought it from you.

I was sure that was a Utah Private Compound plate on the back.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

From what I've read, this is a known problem with Magnas, but not with the VFRs. The issue with the VFRs is supposed to be lack of parts availability, but not reliability. Is that wrong?
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
From what I've read, this is a known problem with Magnas, but not with the VFRs. The issue with the VFRs is supposed to be lack of parts availability, but not reliability. Is that wrong?
They just wanna be LOVED - is that so WRONG?!?!?!

/HarveyFirestein
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
The problems were solved with the Super Magna which was 1988? 89? Anyhow, the VFR benefited from the early Magna/Interceptor teething problems and was by all accounts a reliable bike as long as you carried an extra regulator with you.

Don't take my word for it. MSCuddy will tell you the same thing.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #15
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
The problems were solved with the Super Magna which was 1988? 89? Anyhow, the VFR benefited from the early Magna/Interceptor teething problems and was by all accounts a reliable bike as long as you carried an extra regulator with you.

Don't take my word for it. MSCuddy will tell you the same thing.
VFR's have had weak regulators, all the way up to the "new" one. I think that now, FINALLY, the VFR has a switchmode-type regulator. Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki - all those made running model-changes to their lines to switchmode regulators nearly half a decade-ago.

Honda? F-Bomb 'em all, sez they. Lead, Follow, or Get the F-Bomb outta the way?

None of the above.....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #16
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I was reminising on my '02 VFR just this very morning. Saw it's identical twin moving smartly along during the morning commute.

I'm kicking myself for not picking up one when the dealers were giving away new ones for $7k a couple years ago. That was an outstanding motorcycle.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
eorose
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey! I'll help! I did just what you are doing. Bought an 84 Magna as a project for $300. 3 years and $2000 later I sold it for $1000. Had to replace the tranny (they always blow). Dropped valve and bought another engine from a salvage yard. It always ran hot so I had to rig a bypass switch so the fan would always run when in stop and go traffic. The suspension is waaaayy to0 soft. Never mind that the cams are soft and the oil flow needs to be re-routed to keep them from self-destructing too.

Do yourself a favor and find another project. Early Honda V4s are shyt and those V4s singelhandedly destroyed Honda's reputation of infallible reliability. Don't say I did warn you. Anyone who tells you those old V4s are good bikes is either a fool or a liar.
Well, hopefully you're wrong. But you're probably not, I've heard that a lot. But I figure I can at least recoup my money if I can just get it running. Just cleaned out the carbs, but found a ****storm which I'll explain in a different post. But the max I want to spend on this thing is $1K. So far so good, I've got about $400 left to play with...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
86magna700
Registered Member

well this was entertaining.. don't listen to the poster telling you the bikes are junk.. I've had to 86 700 magnas.. great extremely reliable bikes.. just go to craigslist and see all the 40000+ mileage magnas for sale..

I've personally put 30000 miles on my first 86 700 magna from 1989 to 1990 about a 1.5 year period.. ran the hell out of it to.. **** i lived in yuma arizona stationed in the marine corps.. my older brother lived in phoenix.. theres a 100 mile stretch of I-8 between yuma and gila bend that i ran several times wide open in 5th gear for damn near that whole 100 miles with the speedometer pegged past the 130 mph limit.. dont ask.. i was a 21 year old kid i've read the early 1st year or two of the v4 had the low oil pressure at idle rpm problem which caused the cam to wear prematurely.. was fixed as soon as they realized it was a problem. like I said just go to craigslist and you will see plenty of magnas for sale still running with over 40000 miles.. damn good engine!!
86magna700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Bruce Gardner
Registered Member

Need some help from you Magna experts. I bought a '95 with very low miles. Obviously it has been sitting . It runs strong from 3,000 up but after gearing down and then trying to accelerate it "runs out of gas and quits." After sitting for a few minutes it will start under full choke. It then seems to "clean itself out" and runs strong again. Ideas??
Bruce Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86magna700 View Post
well this was entertaining.. don't listen to the poster telling you the bikes are junk.. I've had to 86 700 magnas.. great extremely reliable bikes.. just go to craigslist and see all the 40000+ mileage magnas for sale..

I've personally put 30000 miles on my first 86 700 magna from 1989 to 1990 about a 1.5 year period.. ran the hell out of it to.. **** i lived in yuma arizona stationed in the marine corps.. my older brother lived in phoenix.. theres a 100 mile stretch of I-8 between yuma and gila bend that i ran several times wide open in 5th gear for damn near that whole 100 miles with the speedometer pegged past the 130 mph limit.. dont ask.. i was a 21 year old kid i've read the early 1st year or two of the v4 had the low oil pressure at idle rpm problem which caused the cam to wear prematurely.. was fixed as soon as they realized it was a problem. like I said just go to craigslist and you will see plenty of magnas for sale still running with over 40000 miles.. damn good engine!!
40K huh? Just about time for them to blow.