Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
mikedeath
Registered Member

Default 1983 Honda cm250 belt help.

Can somebody help me. I am a new rider. A family friend gave me a 1983 Honda cm250 custom. The bike runs great, but it is missing the drive belt. I am unemployed and on a tight budget. Honda, if they can find a belt wants $175-$240 for a belt.I have the part number, 40530-kb 4-7730-mi. Does anyone know what I can do? Is there a way to change to a chain drive? Thank you for any help you can give.
mikedeath is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Changing to a chain drive would require considerable skills. It's theoretically possible, but not a practical solution.

Have you checked with the motorcycle junkyards? They are on line and will ship parts. I'm sure they could find and pull a belt for you.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Have you checked with the motorcycle junkyards? They are on line and will ship parts. I'm sure they could find and pull a belt for you.
As in .......a Google search for "motorcycle parts used" ???
Or whatever is your favorite search engine.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
jasdrumm3
Registered Member

Default Converting From Belt Drive to Chain Drive

First of all, the '83 Honda CM250 Custom is fun and reliable. It is the first bike I've ever owned, it has almost 38,000 miles, and still running like a brand new bike.
With ten years on the belt, it finally gave out and i went searching. If you're not aware, the '83 is the only year of CM that is belt drive. Very simply, get on Ebay, and order front and rear sprockets from an '82 Honda CM250 custom. They'll bolt right up! Copy and paste
For Rear Sprocket:
JT 520 REAR Sprocket: HONDA CM 250 C CM250 C 1982 30T | eBay
For Front Sprocket:
JT 520 FRONT Sprocket: HONDA CM 250 C CM250 C 1982 14T | eBay

for the rear sprocket, you will need a spacer to go between the big snap ring and the sprocket. Most Motorcycle chains are the same size so you should be all set!
jasdrumm3 is offline   Reply With Quote