Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
BurleyBiker
Registered Member

Default MPG for a 1998 Honda Magna...

So I'm wondering if anyone else out there can give me an idea of what they are getting for MPG? I know riding style, and weight of rider can be a factor, but I'm getting about 90-95miles including reserve.I believe the Magna has a 3.3 gallon tank. The bike has just over 30k miles on it.

Some of you know from my previous thread I just got the bike running and back up on the road after a good cleaning of the carbs.

Now I will add that I know she is running a bit rich right now. I know this just from the smell of gas I get when she is just at idle. I need to get back in there and make some adjustments...but I'm still wondering what an average MPG for an older V4 engine?

Cheers,

---===Burley===----
BurleyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
BurleyBiker
Registered Member

Yea Hawk the air filter I cleaned out the cob webs LOL and gave the cleaner a good washing. So she is all good.

Just wondering?.....I think I should be getting more MPG than I'm getting, but I am getting old and my memory isn't what it was. I just thought I should be getting more MPG?

Anyone? ideas on what your getting on MPG?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

35-ish mpg for two-lane roads and a Burly rider isn't bad for any bike.

I can't say what your particular motor is 'supposed' to get.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
35-ish mpg for two-lane roads and a Burly rider isn't bad for any bike.

I can't say what your particular motor is 'supposed' to get.
Me neither but I CAN say that a distinct odor of raw gas probably means something other than just running a bit rich.......like a leaking float needle valve or improperly adjusted (or defective) float or two......or a stuck choke.......or a basic gas leak somewhere.

35-ish is indeed NOT good mileage for a lot of bikes. His may be closer to 30 and I'm pretty sure that his bike in good condition would do a good bit better than that.......like 40-45 maybe.

Anyhow, the gas smell should be investigated as there might be raw gas getting into the oil.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
BurleyBiker
Registered Member

yea checked the oil and didn't smell or feel any gas there. There are no visible leaks anywhere on the bike. Which is great!!! I'm more inclined to think that its a probably a improperly adjusted float...don't think it's a stuck choke....see more info on V4's and their "supposed" choke. So I know it's not that. Think I just need to get in there and re adjust the carbs some more.

I guess for her age...I can't really complain...but I will if gas prices go up anymore here in AZ!!!

Thanks all!

Cheers,

--==Burley==---
Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
motopsych
Registered Member

Hey Burley, I have a '95 Magna myself and if I ride normally (not proving I can smoke the v-twin HD's in a 1/4 mile) I'm getting roughly 45+ mpg. I can run about 120 miles before I have to switch to reserve, I believe the non-reserve tank is 2.7 gallons. I've never pushed it to see what I can go before I'm completely out of gas, hope I never do.

Here is a link to the specs for the 3rd generation Magnas ( '94 and newer) : 1998 Honda VF750C Magna Motorcycle Specs
motopsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
mrjcrod
Registered Member

I'm getting right around 45 on my 2002 Magna... A little less when I get into it a bit...