Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
HondaXL250
Registered Member

Default Honda XL250 Help

Hi All,
My name is Joseph. I have been interested in motorcycles all my life, my dad always rode, but I never got to get on a bike until last summer when I was 18 and took a class. I got my endorsement but never found a bike. Finally, about a week ago, I found my first bike! A 1975 Honda XL250. I got it for only $350 and its in amazing condition. The guy I bought it from thought it was all original so he didnt think it would be that great, but it turns out someone went through and replaced almost most of it with new but original parts. It was a steal! Im really excited to learn about motorcycles and my new bikes and signed up on here for when I have any questions.
Speaking of which, I have my first question!! Does anybody know what kind of oil I need to buy and put in this bike? Its kind of low right now and I dont want to start it up again until I get some oil in it. Once again, its a 1975 Honda XL250. I dont know much about oil either!
HondaXL250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaXL250 View Post
Does anybody know what kind of oil I need to buy and put in this bike?
Where do you live?

In the mean time, you can't hardly go wrong with a name brand 10W40.

Not knowing when it was last changed, you probably should do that soon. When you do that, it probably would be good to go with motorcycle specific oil......just to be safe.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
HondaXL250
Registered Member

I live in Michigan, United States.
Its not quite spring here yet but im anxious to get it ready for when the weather warms up a bit more.
The oil is pretty low and I dont know when it was last changed, so I dont want to start it up again until I do so.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
HondaXL250
Registered Member

By the way. Someone else told me to use a synthetic oil. But I was reading somewhere that the clutch on my bike uses the same oil as the engine and so forth. And that synthetic oil is too slippery and could cause the clutch to not switch. Is this true? Should I avoid synthetic?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaXL250 View Post
Is this true? Should I avoid synthetic?
Any oil made specifically for motorcycles won't have that problem....including synthetics.

I certainly would NOT spend the extra money for synthetic in a bike like that though. Where you live (cool/cold) 10W30 bike oil would do just great........or 10W40 if that's all you can find.

How are you going to know how much to put in ??
I suspect that it does NOT have an oil filter but you might want to visit a dealer to be sure.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Avoid "Energy Conserving" type oils (look for it printed in the little circle on the label), synthetic or otherwise, of any weight. They contain additives that may coat the discs on a wet-clutch, and cause them to slip.

I like Mobil 1 15w50, others like Rotella 15w40. Both are quality oils that have no adverse-effect on the clutch.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
HondaXL250
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Any oil made specifically for motorcycles won't have that problem....including synthetics.

I certainly would NOT spend the extra money for synthetic in a bike like that though. Where you live (cool/cold) 10W30 bike oil would do just great........or 10W40 if that's all you can find.

How are you going to know how much to put in ??
I suspect that it does NOT have an oil filter but you might want to visit a dealer to be sure.
Well I now have some manuals on the way from ebay, and when tommorow comes along I am going to give the nearest Honda dealer a call. There is a dipstick, so I could always just pour it in slowly and keep checking until the level is correct. And I do not believe this bike has an oil filter. This is my first bike, so its all a learning experience. Thankfully though my father is hear to help.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
HondaXL250
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Avoid "Energy Conserving" type oils (look for it printed in the little circle on the label), synthetic or otherwise, of any weight. They contain additives that may coat the discs on a wet-clutch, and cause them to slip.

I like Mobil 1 15w50, others like Rotella 15w40. Both are quality oils that have no adverse-effect on the clutch.
Thank you for that caution. I will be sure to avoid that. I appreciate all your guy's help! Hopefully one day I'll know enough to help other people =P
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm no pro on bikes of that era, but if there isn't a oil filter, there may be what is called a filter screen, which just beeds cleaned. The ones I've seen were brass (or gold colored at least) screens which are shaped like a sleeve but only open on one end. Check into that & clean it well when you change your oil. And good luck with the new bike.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
HondaXL250
Registered Member

So i decided I was incredibly stupid. I should of used a brighter flashlight when checking the oil level because it said right on the Dipstick "use SAE 10w30" haha. The local automotive stores though only had 10w40. So I just picked up some Valvoline Motorcycle 10w40 (non-synthetic) for 4-stroke bikes. Should work just fine! I took out the bolt tonight and man the oil poured out pitch black. You could tell it hadn't been changed in a long time. I also found where the oil screen is located but the bolt was on there tight and I didnt have the 23mm i needed to get it off. Only 22, 24, and everything else. What luck. Guess ill try again tommorow.