Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
cawieand
Registered Member

Default Help! 1983 honda shadow replaced startor wont shift?

I have a 1983 honda shadow vt750. I replaced the stator today and now the bike won't shift or start. please help. thank you
cawieand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawieand View Post
I have a 1983 honda shadow vt750. I replaced the stator today and now the bike won't shift or start. please help. thank you
If it won't start, how do you know it won't shift ??

I think you're gonna need somebody onsite the point out what you did wrong. It's going to be a little hard to diagnose with text messages.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Offhand, I'd say you didn't install the stator correctly.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
cawieand
Registered Member

The bike won't shift out of first to go into neutral, the lever moves up and down but feels like nothing is attached Which in turn registers the bike is in gear and there is a neutral safety switch on it that will not allow it to start in gear. All i did was remove the left cover. The only thing that I touched that had to do with the shifter is taking the shifter lever of I never messed with the alignment of any of the gears. There is no way to even mess with anything that deals with the shifter except the rod that comes through the case. I'm going to work on it tonight hopefully I can figure something out. I f all else fails I'm going to pull both side covers and see if the linkage somehow cam loose. If anyone has an Idea please let me know. thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
The bike won't shift out of first to go into neutral,
While you are trying to find neutral, gently rock the bike forward and back a bit.......with the clutch engaged and then without it.

At this point, I think it's highly UNLIKELY that your present problem has anything to do with the stator work that you did and it's just a coincidence.

I further believe that if you continue taking stuff apart to try and find the problem you eventually WILL really break something.

If you had the shift lever off during the work, it might be back on in the wrong position and you just aren't moving it far enough. DON'T force it though.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
cawieand
Registered Member

Ok so here is an update I pulled the inspection cover and the clutch cover and can see that it looks like one of the shift forks are out of place. I'm going to remove the clutch assembly tonight to get a better look at the problem. I'm fairly mechanically inclined considering I'm a certified auto mechanic I am just not familiar with motorcycles. I'm sure if i keep looking I can solve this problem.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Ok so here is an update I pulled the inspection cover and the clutch cover and can see that it looks like one of the shift forks are out of place. I'm going to remove the clutch assembly tonight to get a better look at the problem. I'm fairly mechanically inclined considering I'm a certified auto mechanic I am just not familiar with motorcycles. I'm sure if i keep looking I can solve this problem.
IIRC, that's a version of the 3-valve 52-degree V-Twin Honda's had since Moby D!ck was a Whale-Sperm (and STILL using it on the Dullsville in a 4V-head version!). This link is to a manual for a relative of that engine (if it's the one I'm thinking about) - Honda NT650 Hawk GT service manual

Externally, they're a bit different. But, I think they use about 80-90% of the same internal parts. It might help, it might not.

Good Luck.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote