Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda/)
-   -   1983 Honda Shadow engine noise only when leaning left. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda/17728-1983-honda-shadow-engine-noise-only-when-leaning-left.html)

cawieand 03-03-2011 04:16 PM

1983 Honda Shadow engine noise only when leaning left.

I recently bought a 1983 Honda shadow project bike (this is my first bike
). When I got the bike it was in rough shape. It didn't run at all. The gentleman I bought the bike from said he last rode the bike 3 years ago and it ran fine. he decided to sell the bike because he lost interest in it. Before I bought it he did an oil change and some other minor maintenance and found out it wouldn't start so he he sold it for cheap. When I got the bike home I started with checking for spark it had spark. I ended up draining all the gas and pulling the carbs off and cleaning them. it fired up relatively easy after that, with just a little lifter noise. As it warmed up the lifter noise went away. I had the bike on the center kick stand. As i took the bike off the center kick stand and put it on the side stand it started making a weird rattle noise from the engine. If i pull the bike up straight the noise goes completely away. could he have used the wrong type of oil? Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Its not really a knock it is kind of a rattle. It sounds like it is in the motor I've looked for external causes. any help would be appreciated. thank you

A Star Ride 03-03-2011 04:39 PM

Could be the wrong type of oil don't ride it til you change the iol & filter again. Could also just be low in oil too.

cawieand 03-03-2011 04:51 PM

I picked up new honda oil and filter today and got that changed. Just my luck the fuel pump shorted out and burnt up the fuel pump cut out relay. I bought a used fuel pump and a used relay and I am picking it up tomorrow. We'll see if that helps the noise or not. the bike has 15000 miles on it the dealership gave me honda 10 w 40 to run in it do you think that sounds right for the milage?

Easy Rider 2 03-03-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cawieand (Post 256476)
honda 10 w 40 to run in it do you think that sounds right for the milage?

Yes. Mileage doesn't mean much when it comes to selecting the right oil.

Here's hoping that the fuel pump was the problem the whole time.

If it still rattles, try pulling in the clutch a time or two.

Then look for external rattles before you worry too much about a rattle inside the engine.

An extremely low idle speed can cause an engine rattle too.

How did you know how much oil to put in it ??

cawieand 03-04-2011 04:04 AM

The dealership told me plus I have the shop manual. Thanks for the insight. I've read on some of the treads that the older bikes can make i thump sound because of the clutch. If this is the case will it damage the bike to ride it that way?

Easy Rider 2 03-04-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cawieand (Post 256499)
If this is the case will it damage the bike to ride it that way?

I don't know but in your position I would certainly try real hard to find somebody who does.......and at the very least give it a good inspection.

If something is coming loose.......or worn to the point of rattling......it could pose a problem. On most models, a clutch re-build isn't too bad, I've been told. ;-)