Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Upright
Registered Member

Default Honda Magna V45 750

I have a 1983 Honda Magna v45 750. I got it back in August and have yet to be able to do anything with it. When I got it I rode it back to my house and parked it. I was told at the time that the coil pack was going back and would need to be replaced soon. Now it wont start. I press the start button and it sounds like its going to turn over but then doesn't. I think it could be the fuel filter is clogged up. I havnt done much work on bikes and was looking to get ideas on what the problem could be. I want to get this up and running asapfor riding weather. Thanks in advance.
Upright is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upright View Post
I press the start button and it sounds like its going to turn over but then doesn't.
Gotta clarify the terminology first.
"Doesn't turn over" means that the starter doesn't run and the engine parts aren't moving. The way you said it I assume that it is turning over but just not firing up.....right ??

You will need some choke; what are you doing with the choke ?

In either case, the battery is the first thing to be suspicious of; a few hours on a low capacity charger might fix you right up......for the moment. Then comes the fuel system which at the very least needs a healthy dose of carb cleaner.

How long has it been parked ? How long was it parked before you got it ??

Could be the "coil pack" but other things need to be checked first.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

It not the "coil pack". After you charge the battery, you will likely find that the carburetors have clogged jets due to lack of use.

Oh boy. Another V-4 Honda carb rebuild nightmare.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Liquid hot Magna flow inexorably toward the helpless villagers, burning and destroying all in it's path. A tidal wave a slow death, the Magna leaves only death and destruction behind.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
It not the "coil pack".
Right.

AND what other psychic abilities do you have in addition to being able to "see" engine problems by remote control ??
Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Right.

AND what other psychic abilities do you have in addition to being able to "see" engine problems by remote control ??
Like anyone who regularly posts on any given website, he knows all there is to know, is infallible in all his decisions and recommendations, and has an enormous schvanstuka.

Just like me.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Right.

And besides - OP has pretty-much described a "classic" dead/flat battery:

Quote:
Now it wont start. I press the start button and it sounds like its going to turn over but then doesn't.
Not to say that the thing doesn't need a coil as well - but what I can puzzle-out it sounds like it will probably sputter and run (albiet like shyte) if he'll charge the battery and choke it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

Just basing diagnosis based on your description and prior experience.

I should have said "It's likely not the 'coil pack', whatever that is."
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I should have said "It's likely not the 'coil pack', whatever that is."
You got the point. Thank you.
I agree with THAT 100%.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
83MagnaEZE
Registered Member

Default 83 V45 Project

I have an 83 V45 that I inherited in the fall. The bike was wrecked in 86 with only 7000 miles on it and has been garaged since. I started buying all the parts that i can tell are damaged from the wreck and as far as I know these are the only bad parts since it was obviously running up until the point that it was parked. I bought all used original parts off of eBay. The tank was dented and was leaking, handle bars were bent, all right side foot pegs and mounts were broken, the tachometer was smashed in by the handle bars, and the front wheel was broken and about a 6 inch chunk of it was missing along with half the front fender. It seems the frame is bent at the forks because the forks appear o.k. but not in line with the rest of the bike. I found a frame from an 82 at a local shop which I'm about to have powder coated. I got all the other parts from eBay with the exception of the front fender which I plan to purchase from Honda since I can't find one without any dents or rust and I'm waiting on the last few parts to show up including the gas tank which has kept me from getting started since I can't test the engine without it. So with all the parts in route I'm about ready to get started taking the bike apart and swapping it to the new frame but before I do I want to make sure it will run since if I run into any problems they can be taken care of while it is already apart. I already know that the bike will need the carbs cleaned since it hasn't been started or even seen daylight in over 25 years. I spent most of my time so far just cleaning it and polishing the parts I plan to use since I picked it up from my step dads parents garage back in November. I don't really know much about bikes so I found a mobile mechanic who will come to my garage to do the work which I like this idea since even though I don't know how to work on it myself I would like to help with the rebuild and try to learn as much as possible in the process so that I might be able to fix any problems in the future. I found a Clymer repair manual for it on "oldbikebarn.com" but I haven't got it yet.
QUESTIONS: Ive searched Google and can't seem to find out a few things.

1: What type of oil do I need to buy for the bike?
2: One of the mufflers was missing and I found one that says you wouldn't have to have the carbs re-jetted but I would really like to have a exhaust that looks more like the exhaust on a Harley. Is it possible to get this look on these bikes or do you have to use the mufflers that get fat at the end?
3: I found a kit for rebuilding the carbs on oldbikebarn, will I need this to clean them?
4: Is there anything I need to do before trying to fire the bike up other than changing the oil and coolant? Also is there a specific type of coolant that I need to use?
5: I also looked for engine rebuild kits for these bikes and I couldn't find any, I know most engines can be bored out and made bigger and I can't seem to find any info on that for this bike.
6: Whats the deal with the carbs on these that everybody says they are a pain to work on?

Any suggestions, ideas, info anybody has that can help me get this done right would be appreciated. I'm not sure if the mechanic is the best at these old Honda's and I want to make sure he doesn't screw anything up by missing something. For all I know he is an expert on these bikes but I'd like to know for myself of what to watch for and what might need done.
83MagnaEZE is offline   Reply With Quote