Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
triumphguy
Registered Member

Default should I buy?

I have tried to attach a picture of the bike but I'm not sure if they did or not. This bike is pretty rusted over and needs a lot of work, but I'm looking for one to restore and this will be my first. he wasn't sure on the year, but he was thinking it was a 66 cb450. He's asking $500 but I think he would go lower. I'm looking for people who have experience in restores and honda's. Is this one worth the time/money or should I look for something in a little better shape?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0037.jpg (84.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by triumphguy : 01-10-2011 at 06:36 AM. Reason: pictures
triumphguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

This site is image-unfriendly. And no one that is able seems to care enough to fix it.

So, you need to post the picture in another site, and then put a link to it in your post here.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Have you restored a bike? The reality is far more expensive and difficult than the idea. Especially on an old bike where you're chasing parts on EBay, Criagslist, etc. I talked to a professional restorer recently about it. He said if you bring him or one of his competitors a bike that is 90% complete, the average cost for a restoration is $12,000. Translate their skilled, professional labor time and effort back into your time, and you get the idea.

I suggest starting with a late model bike that needs work; one you can still get OEM parts for at the usual sites like BikeBandit, or even the dealer. If you enjoy that, then consider a 30 y/o bike.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
triumphguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Have you restored a bike? The reality is far more expensive and difficult than the idea. Especially on an old bike where you're chasing parts on EBay, Criagslist, etc. I talked to a professional restorer recently about it. He said if you bring him or one of his competitors a bike that is 90% complete, the average cost for a restoration is $12,000. Translate their skilled, professional labor time and effort back into your time, and you get the idea.

I suggest starting with a late model bike that needs work; one you can still get OEM parts for at the usual sites like BikeBandit, or even the dealer. If you enjoy that, then consider a 30 y/o bike.
No I've never restored one, I've just always ridden and liked the idea of restoring one. I really appreciate your input and that gives me a lot to think about. I was going to restore it very slowly over time. I think I will take your advice and let that idea go for now and get a late model bike, and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

BTW: I spent 2 years and more money than I ever want to really total up restoring a '77 HD Low Rider. That was with a Harley-trained mechanic who did the really technical parts, while I did the grunt work like cleaning and painting. It was great fun, but I was miserable because it was the only bike I had at the time. If you can buy a runner and get a second bike for the project, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
triumphguy
Registered Member

I've got a couple of good runners, a 2005 speed triple and an 09 ninja250(gas mileage bike). I was just wanting something to bring back to life when I had the spare time, but after reading your first post I really like your idea of a late model with a little work first.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
A Star Ride
Registered Member

If I had 10% of the money I've seen my friends lose "restoring" bikes & old cars or "building" jeeps, I could buy anything on the market. I have 1 friend with a 70-something Byscane (sp) and a 70-something jeep CJ-something cloging his garage rendering it unpoerable for going on 4 years.
Ohh, and he wants to build a BSA now too, said he is gonna clear the bench and put it on there.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

Thanks, guys. You're giving me hope. I have a bunch of bikes in my garage awaiting restoration....
Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Don't think I'd ever get into restoring bikes, unless of course its something from my hay day. RC30 Anyone?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Don't think I'd ever get into restoring bikes, unless of course its something from my hay day. RC30 Anyone?
Are you old enough for a hayday?