Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #21
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurleyBiker View Post
LMAO now THAT was funny!!!

Update: Got the tank off and drained today. Have to go have it re-keyed tomorrow. Tested for spark and all is good there for sure. My buddy can personally attest to that!!! He got a bit of a shocker

So all that's left is inspect the tank. Clean if necessary. New fuel and fire her up.

And yes my pipes are vance and hines. That video is sweet!! I will be very pleased if she sounds like that!!! Thanks for the links!

Cheers,

-==Burley==-
Yeah, it's a cryin' shame that Honda went from something like the exhaust-note of the V4, to the lawn-tractor flatulence of the staggered-crankpin 52-degree V-twin of the VTX-twins and the Furry.

Yeah, my HawkGT(s) has a variant of that V-twin engine - but I don't have an individually-piped exhaust, and/or a huge, slow-moving set of pistons with pretensions of being a Harley Clone. Hawks sound like Ass when you twin-pipe them too.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #22
BurleyBiker
Registered Member

I know it's been forever!! Just wanted to drop in and let you guys know all the progress made with the bike.

She's running like a dream!!!

The carbs needed some minor cleaning didn't even have to completely remove them from the bike. Cleaned out the carbs and she fired right up!!!

And yes she sounds just as good as the video!

Thus far she has been a great bike. It has been a dream to be riding again. I was also surprised at the power for a 750. I'm getting almost 100 horses out of her with the pipes. So my buddies and their V-twins get a bit jealous. I owned a 2002 Honda American Classic edition....it was no where near as torque "e" or fast. When I really wound her out it was a lot of fun!

Thanks for your tips along the way. They were very appreciated.

Cheers,

---===Burley===----
BurleyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #23
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I bet it does sound great. I always liked the exhaust note of the V-4 Hondas, just didn't like the idea of the upkeep of 4 carbs.

Don't store it for long without some kind of fuel-stabilizer (Sta-Bil, etc.) in the tank (and keep that tank FULL when you do store it!), keep it on a battery-tender when not in use, polish it with Lemon Pledge every now and again, change the sparkplugs and coolant every third year, change the oil every 5000 miles or so - or at least once a year (end of riding season is most important - and it's personal preference on mileage-interval: 7500-miles on a quality oil and filter won't hurt anything).

If you can't get stabilizer in the tank, shut off the fuel petpenis (MO Nanny won't let you say "pet****" here) and either run the engine 'til it sputters when you're giving it a bit of throttle (main jet draws lower than the pilot into the fuel-bowl), or drain the fuel-bowls.

Seriously, I'm Glad you didn't have to disassemble the carbs - but DO watch for anything that appears to be seeping from the carbs into the engine-vee. At the first sign of that, replace the Insulators.

I would avoid like the Plague any intake or exhaust changes, unless you've a friend that KNOWS what he's doing with THESE BIKES (VFR experience is good here). You can make a fairly-well running example of one of these V-4's, with only a few flat-spots in the power band, run like complete ASS with little to no effort. And nigh-unto impossible to "fix" it. I've seen it. Sadly, more times than I care to recall.

Don't ask me to help, either - I'm not an "Expert" with these things, never jetted a V-4, don't wanna start now.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #24
BurleyBiker
Registered Member

yea believe it or not the seals were all in good condition. I was surprised to. It just really wasn't bad. The bike was very well taken care of before I got it. Out of the entire process the biggest pain in the butt was cleaning the tank out. It was pretty bad!! ''

Thanks for the tips Hawk. I plan on keeping up on regular maintenance with her. Mainly because of her age, but I like my pieces of machinery to run well and be taken care of well. But I've been taking it easy on her for the most part. I have only put about 400 miles on her since I got her running.

But planning a nice run tomorrow for about 150 miles, Can't wait to get her out on the open road!!

Thanks again,

---===Burley===---
Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #25
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurleyBiker View Post
Out of the entire process the biggest pain in the butt was cleaning the tank out. It was pretty bad!! ''
Did that model come stock with a fuel filter ??

If not, you probably should add one; ceramic or paper, not a plain screen.......and change it fairly often; a minimum of every two years or every second oil change I'd think.

Along with a dose of carb cleaner every 5th tank of gas or so and it should serve you well for a LONG time.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #26
motopsych
Registered Member

Glad to hear you got your bike running good with minimal effort. I was beginning to wonder if you'd forgotten to post the result. Have fun and ride safe.
motopsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #27
BurleyBiker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Did that model come stock with a fuel filter ??

If not, you probably should add one; ceramic or paper, not a plain screen.......and change it fairly often; a minimum of every two years or every second oil change I'd think.

Along with a dose of carb cleaner every 5th tank of gas or so and it should serve you well for a LONG time.

It did not come stock with a filter. And no I haven't installed one yet, but plan too! I have already run some cleaning treatments and seemed to work well. After my ride on Friday I noticed that she is running a bit rich right now...due to overwhelming odor of gas on me when we arrived at our destination. So need to get back back in there and due a bit of fine tuning.

@ motopsych

yea I can be bad about returning correspondence. But I felt I owned it to you guys for being the first boards to deal with my stupid questions. And always ride safe! you have to!

Cheers!

---===Burley===---