Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
thebode11
Registered Member

Default CRAZY Spark Plug issue

Ok so I traded my old four wheeler for a 1984 Honda Sabre 700. I Knew it needed work but it seems like everything I start has some sort of issue. Started with the basics. Clean air filter, change oil, spark plugs, and drain gas.

First thing is I got one spark plug off no problem. When i went to take the second one off the thing was SOOO messed up. It looks like something with metal teeth chewed it! Any ideas what could have caused this?

Second thing is for some reason it leaks oil out of the exhaust??

Third is i drained the gas and there is alot of sediment. what would you guys say the best way to get it out of the tank is?

I attached a picture of the spark plug and the gas i drained. Sorry for all the questions. Would appreciate the help though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0127[1].jpg (64.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0126z.jpg (174.7 KB, 0 views)
thebode11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

The bad news is that the early V4 Hondas had terrible transmissions and valve trains. I take it the bike was not running when you traded? Junk in the head and oil leaking out the pipe = broken valve rattled around in the head = big bucks for a top end job. If the cam bearings are shot then new cylinder heads will be needed because there are no bearing inserts in the races. The steel cams run straight in the aluminum head... which is the usual modern practice. Just a blank head is about $550. Cams are about $150 each (2 in each head). Then there's 8 valves in each head @ $40 each.... etc.

The engine will have to be pulled. The tranny needs to be inspected also because those 700s usually blew 1st gear at around 30K miles. I did the tranny job on an 84 Magna and tranny parts alone ran around $400.

The bike is worth a lot less than it will cost to fix it. Sorry, but I think you got screwed. Maybe you can find an engine in a junkyard, but there's no telling if such an engine isn't just waiting to blow its top/tranny too. The Sabre didn't sell very well so if you can find a VF700 engine it will probably be a Magna engine.

There is no way that the guy who traded you didn't know that the engine is blown. No way.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ditto, My buddy had a 700 Sabre in the 80's and I had an 84 V65 Sabre when my kids were babys, fun bikes when they ran but definitely a throw away. You're best bet will be a junkyard engine.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
thebode11
Registered Member

No it starts and everthing. i have no idea how it started with the chewed up plug in it. doesnt idle well with choke off but that is carb cleaning and minor adjustments. when i pull the throttle the rpms go up fine. just after about 60 secs. the oil starts dripping out of exhaust. I think valves need adjusted. What i am worried about is HOW the spark plug got like that.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

So it's not as bad as I thought. A 4 cylinder bike will start if 3 cylinders are working. But for the plug to get chewed up something may have broken loose or been inhaled into the cylinder. And oil out the pipe? Do you have blue smoke?

Better adjust the valves right away. Valves that don't close all the way are close to hitting the piston crown.

Try pulling the plug wire from the cylinder that had the bad plug and start the engine. Does it run any differently than with the plug connected? If not then that cylinder is not firing. Test the compression.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
thebode11
Registered Member

It is white smoke
Old 07-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
12er
Founding Member

White smoke is water, so bad head gasket at the very least. Check your crank case to make sure the oil isnt milky.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote