Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckneste View Post
I called the Georgia DOT. Since the bike is over 25 years old, I Only need to provide a bill of sale and as long as the vin number doesn't come up as stolen, I would be good to go. So how hard would it to be to remove and rebuild the carbs and rebuild the brake calipers or what have you. I assume this should be pretty simple. Any other common known issues with an 1982 Cb 750 ?

Chuck
They are pretty straight forward bikes. Just get a manual. But I'd check that CV carb slide boots are still available before I bought it. If they are cracked and can't be replaced you'll need a new set of carbs and that runs about 6-700 bucks for Mikuni smoothbores.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
They are pretty straight forward bikes. Just get a manual. But I'd check that CV carb slide boots are still available before I bought it. If they are cracked and can't be replaced you'll need a new set of carbs and that runs about 6-700 bucks for Mikuni smoothbores.
There's a couple of guys that will take your old slides and refurb them with new EPDM rubba'z.

But, it'll cost ya'.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
There's a couple of guys that will take your old slides and refurb them with new EPDM rubba'z.

But, it'll cost ya'.
You'd be better off with a set of Mikuni Smoothbores if you have to spend any money on the stock cheapie Keihins.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #24
chuckneste
Registered Member

Hello All,

OK, This is what I found

In the state of Georgia, Bike manufactured before 1986 can be titles with a bill of sale and the latest registration. If the registration is not available, An anfidavit can be completed and the local po po needs to come to your house to verify the serial numbe ron the bike. He will then sign off on it and it can then be taken to MV with insurance binder to be registered. I called 2 times and got the same answer *l*

The bike will need a side cover. I still need to drive 90 minutes to look at it before buying it. it will need an ignition switch, Carbs rebuilt due to it sitting ( so I am told) and a cover and right caliper.

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n.../1982%20CB750/
chuckneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
chuckneste
Registered Member

Hello Seruzawa,

The owner states the bike will run with starting fluid only due to the bike sitting. How can I check the following. Is this something I can look at without disassembly?

"check that CV carb slide boots "
Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #26
chuckneste
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello Seruzawa,

The owner states the bike will run with starting fluid only due to the bike sitting. How can I check the following. Is this something I can look at without disassembly?

Randakk's Cycle Shakk - Honda DOHC Four
Old 03-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Hello Seruzawa,

Looks like those carbs use a rubber seal that moves up and down rather than a boot. So that kit should, that's should, be enough to fix the carbs. If the bike has been sitting a long time then the internal passages are blocked with crud and it's going to take spray carb cleaner and copper wire to clean them.

For $400 it's hard to go wrong. You can probably get that parting it out.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #28
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
I considered that for my Jamamaha carbs. Turns out, 3 cans of carb cleaner and a $20 kit they were good as new. Saved major money and time. Mine might not be as difficult as yours though.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #29
chuckneste
Registered Member

Thanks for the great responses. I played with my 24MM minikuimi or some like that on my quad. Got rid of the tors and modified the card. Nothing like a few beers , carb cleaner and a solid core wire on a nice day. I took a basket case and resurrected it from the dead. Split the case and had the cylinder bored and replaced all the bushings and painted the frame with POR 15. I will keep you posted as I try to negotiate for the bike.

Chuck
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #30
chuckneste
Registered Member

Default scam on craigslist?

I dont know if the compression test or serial number verification scared this guy. Oh well.

RESPONSE

Honda is no longer for sale. I am going to fix it up myself.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Neste, Charles <Charles.Neste@lsi.com> wrote:

QUESTION

Hello Chuck,

This is what I know,

I called DOT again this morning. The Bike can be registered in Georgia with a Bill of Sale. I will need the local po po to come by my house and verify the serial numbers so these must be clearly identified on the bike. An affidavit can be completed and signed and then taken to DMV

I would also need to verify compression to ensure that the “ Project Bike” can be restored by replacing the ignition , cover, brake caliper and rebuild and tune up of carb / bike. I also assume that the tires would need to be replaced due to age / dry rot. I can deal with any other minor issues

Other than that, Do you know the history of the bike and why it sat for so long?

I would like to meet you at the border/ State rest area as previously mentioned. If I was to come to your father’s house, it would take me at least 2 hrs and 20 minutes each way. If I did that, I can offer 375.00 as you have the bike listed as 425 OBO. If you meet me at the border, I can give you the asking price after I verify compression. I would like to be out there between 9 -9:30 Saturday Morning with cash. I will take the chance and buy a battery so we can check the compression. You stated it will run on starting fluid and I will take your word. If you could, please remove the plugs .

I know this is a project bike but I want to make sure I can put 600.00 in parts into the bike and have something that will be reliable. Please let me know your thoughts.