Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Honda

Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckneste View Post
ok, dead deal. Moving on to something else. I will take your advice sine I dont know squat . Thanks for the help

Chuck
If you are going to drop a grand, I'd second the suggestion to get a mid-80s CB (550, 650, or 700). I owned an '85 CB700SC for almost three years and was quite pleased. (WARNING: parts from Honda can be a bit expensive, but not over the top.)

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #12
chuckneste
Registered Member

Thanks again,

I dont like what I am seeing in the 1000.00 range. I may just wait and raise my budget to 2K. I can get something decent without working on it. I was looking for a cheap project so I can tinker just like I did with my blaster project. I removed every nut and bolt from that dam thing and rebuilt the entire motor and learned alot. I was looking to do the same with a street bike.
chuckneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks again,

I dont like what I am seeing in the 1000.00 range. I may just wait and raise my budget to 2K. I can get something decent without working on it. I was looking for a cheap project so I can tinker just like I did with my blaster project. I removed every nut and bolt from that dam thing and rebuilt the entire motor and learned alot. I was looking to do the same with a street bike.
Suzuki GS-500s seem to be plentiful at rock-bottom prices. I've seen some decent ones around $2k.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
pplassm
Founding Member

I don't know where you are located, chuckneste, but around here, now is not the time to try and find a $1000 bike is useable condition. You are 2 months too late.

Your plan to go up to $2000 will get you better pickings. If you really have no skills, and do not want to work on the bike, look for a newer design. While the old 70's and 80's inline 4s are good designs, their age will have you chasing multiple gremlins in carburetion and electrical systems.

At your price range, perhaps looking for a Ninja 500 (EX500), GS500 or similar would help. I'd mention similar cruiser styled bikes, but, honestly, I am not as familiar with them.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
chuckneste
Registered Member

I did own a 1996 Shadow ACE c2 and I am mechanically inclined. I was just looking for something to tinker with. I live in the Atlanta area and I am looking for a cruiser. I dont think I want to go smaller than a 750.00. I will just have to look whats available at what prices and jump on the first deal that I think is resonable. Since my wife wont let me work on a car, A motorcycle seems to be the next logical step.

Chuck
Atl
Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
chuckneste
Registered Member

Ok, I found this puppy.

1982 HONDA CB750C

Would this be a good project bike to tinker with?

Chuck
Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I did own a 1996 Shadow ACE c2 and I am mechanically inclined. I was just looking for something to tinker with. I live in the Atlanta area and I am looking for a cruiser. I dont think I want to go smaller than a 750.00. I will just have to look whats available at what prices and jump on the first deal that I think is resonable. Since my wife wont let me work on a car, A motorcycle seems to be the next logical step.

Chuck
Atl
Should be a lot of Suzuki Marauders and such around now.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Ok, I found this puppy.

1982 HONDA CB750C

Would this be a good project bike to tinker with?

Chuck
"Comes with Bill of Sale" = "Has no Title". That's why it's so cheap. Can't be registered if the trail of ownership is lost.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #19
pplassm
Founding Member

There are ways around that. But YMMV.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #20
chuckneste
Registered Member

I called the Georgia DOT. Since the bike is over 25 years old, I Only need to provide a bill of sale and as long as the vin number doesn't come up as stolen, I would be good to go. So how hard would it to be to remove and rebuild the carbs and rebuild the brake calipers or what have you. I assume this should be pretty simple. Any other common known issues with an 1982 Cb 750 ?

Chuck